Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 01-07-2005 , 09:40 PM
Subscriber

CartoonDog...Poly Creation/Organizing Question

Can someone help me with a question? I did the cartoon dog model as the tutorial shows...even with a little of my own touches as far as appearance goes....but I seem to be missing the poly trick....that is to say...i can create a model looking just like the tutorials...or just like the image plane I may have up....but when it comes down to the smoothing...or subd modifying....my model loses it....

I guess my question is....when creating polygons and splitting polygons what is the general rule as far as shape/size/postioning? is the objective to create 4 sided polys all as straight in a row as possible on your model? Like building blocks? Apologies for the rather NEWB question.... I hope it makes sense.

eg of what I was experiencing...

Attached Images
# 2 06-07-2005 , 11:07 AM
Subscriber
Skeksi,
your model looks really "clean", and if your experiencing troubles with subdividing or smoothing maybe your smoothing settings are off a little ?
Yes if you could create all 4 sided poly's your smoothing would be perfect but its often very hard to make every face a 4 sided poly and especially with subd's the 3 sided polys seem to pull the skin a little but its hard to avoid.
I don't think your model is the problem(atleast what you've shown from the side)
maybe you could post your smoothpoly settings?
or a smooth pic so you can be more specific with your problems?

Thanks for wasting your time reading this line.
# 3 08-07-2005 , 03:48 PM
Subscriber
Ok...soon as I get home ill post my smooth settings.....when i go into smooth mode i get tearing.....not sure but i think i read that i need to run cleaning with normals set for correcting. Im trying to rig my cartoon dog too but I need more training on that.

# 4 08-07-2005 , 04:42 PM
Subscriber
yeah, it all looks good, the only thing i would look at is the point near his ass, something wrong there i think. post a pic of this 'tearing' that you get.

# 5 08-07-2005 , 10:49 PM
Subscriber
Here's my smoothing settings

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 08-07-2005 , 10:50 PM
Subscriber
Here's the tearing.....and I forgot...i get the tearing when i go subd....not with smoothing....when i smooth i dont notice a difference in my model other than a lot more poly's

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 10-07-2005 , 12:16 PM
Subscriber
oh, that occurs because the vertex on the model arn't merged
-------
go to the unsmoothed version of the model:
what you need to do is click on 1 of those points once and move it, you'll find two vertex on the same point.
Next you have to click the point you moved and hold down v to snap it to the point you didnt move.
Finally just click edit polygons-->merge vertices
hope that fixes it

Thanks for wasting your time reading this line.
# 8 10-07-2005 , 12:45 PM
Subscriber
Excellant... user added image Thank you !