Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 21-05-2013 , 07:15 PM

Guitar Strap plus Guitar

Hi there,

I have a question: I want to animate a guy playing a guitar. My plan is the following:
I want to create a guitar strap with ncloth, the guy as a passive collider and then attach the guitar (active rigid body) to the strap.
when I then press play, the guitar is falling down to unlimited.. how can I make the guitar hanging to the strap?

Thanks a lot,
Hansi

# 2 21-05-2013 , 08:44 PM
You select the vertices on the cloth and and select vertices on guitar and create a constraint, under ncloth menu. I can't check now cus Im rendering something but thats the principle.

# 3 21-05-2013 , 08:57 PM
Hi SirCharles,

thank you for your reply. This did not work unfortunately...

My guitar is an active body with a gravity field (it is falling down).
The strap is a ncloth.

When I attach these via a vertex, the guitar is falling and bends the strap to infinity.

# 4 23-05-2013 , 07:17 PM
Is my approach correct with the gravity field? What must I do in order to get this fixed? Thanks in advance

# 5 23-05-2013 , 07:27 PM
EduSciVis-er
When you say it bends the strap, does part of the strap stay in the correct place and attached to the guitar? If so, then it's a matter of tweaking the nCloth settings to get more realistic behaviour. Try looking at the presets in the AE.

# 6 23-05-2013 , 09:15 PM
Hi stwert,

Thank you for your reply. The strap stays correctly and looks attached to the guitar all the time.
I tried a lot, but it seems that the guitar doesnt care what I do for settings for ncloth for the strap. It always falls down. Even when I put the dynamic properties for the strap to the maximum for all values (In this case, the strap looks no longer attached because it is stiff but the dynamic constraints are bending..

# 7 23-05-2013 , 09:19 PM
EduSciVis-er
Try changing the dynamic constraints to weld, if they're not already of that type.

# 8 24-05-2013 , 01:08 PM
I think working with ncloth isn't as easy as they make out to be. For me anyway.

I could never get ncloth to be as stiff as I wanted. Scene scale is always a big issue.

The constraints for me are still hit and miss, but over on the areas website, search duncans form and I'm pretty sure he goes through the different types of constraints.

Graham

# 9 25-05-2013 , 08:58 AM
Ok thanks for your help. Weld didnt help unfortunately.. the guitar doesnt care about anything.
However, when I change the guitar from the active body to a ncloth it works just fine. But I want the active body... hmm.. Or do you have any other suggestions? A complete different approach?

# 10 25-05-2013 , 09:09 PM
The thin red line
Try decreasing the gravity................dave

# 11 26-05-2013 , 08:50 AM
Hi Dave,

just a little bit slower.. but the same.

Cheers
Hans

# 12 30-05-2013 , 01:30 PM
This attaching a cloth to an object should work. even if the object is falling due to gravity.

Return to basics and get that working first. Do the flag and pole tutorial either online or from help docs. This constrains a cloth to a pole using constraints along vertices. Could be a transform constraint I cant remember. MOve the pole- the flag moves. Make the pole a rigid bosy and see if that works.

Then apply this to your scene.

By the way, the max settings for ncloth isn't the full slider - you can enter up to 1000 units I believe for each. But sounds like you need to work out the correct constraints, plus their max setting.

# 13 31-05-2013 , 10:09 PM
Thanks, I will try that!