Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 05-04-2011 , 08:05 AM
Subscriber

April Challenge_Lo PolyCharacter_CGWolfgang

Hey Guys its great to be back home and in time (hopefully) to participate (and hopefully finish this time) a simply maya challenge!

My entry is going to be an update of an old and relatively unknown SNES game called Robotrek. I'm going to do an updated version of the robot sidekicks you build in the game. In the original 16 bit glory the robots had a definite robot-knight feel to them. Their melee weapons were axes, swords and a kite shield and the helmet looks a bit like a knights helmet. So instead I'm going to try to give it a more roman warrior or gladiator feel.

Also newbie question real quick... I know there's a polycount function but where is it located?

Attached Images

~To create a new world through the imagination
# 2 05-04-2011 , 12:02 PM
Subscriber
hey it's cgwolfgang!
i've not heard of the game you're doing before... but then i've not heard of many of the snes games

go Display > Heads up display > Polycount

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 3 05-04-2011 , 12:17 PM
Lifetime Member
Hey CG welcome back man!!!! dont remember this one...and we had SNES too...still, had lots of games LOL. Good luck mate!

cheers bullet

My heart skipped a beat then...I though it was Rygar...nobody remembers Rygar...user added image

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 4 06-04-2011 , 03:56 AM
Subscriber
Thanks for the warm return guys!

Chirone: I'm not surprised you haven't heard of it. The game didn't even sell a million copies world wide but it was the very first game I ever owned on my own. The parental units wouldn't buy it so I had to mow lawns and the like until I could save up and purchase it on my own.

bullet: Man I'm sorry I don't remember rygar... it sounds familiar though.

I'm going to get started tonight so hopefully I'll have something to post before I call it a night.

# 5 06-04-2011 , 07:39 AM
Subscriber
Just a quick update to give everyone a feel for what I'm doing. I've got a very basic outline of the robots proportions/ basic parts that I'm going to build around. Not bad for an hour and a half of total worktime (for my level).

Attached Thumbnails

# 6 07-04-2011 , 07:35 AM
Subscriber
Just a quick and more productive update. Finished the helmet and started on the bits of the head that would be exposed. Going to finish it tomorrow then work my way down to the chest. All in all the helmet turned out better than I expected.

Attached Thumbnails

# 7 07-04-2011 , 08:35 AM
Lifetime Member
UUUUUUUummmmmmmmmm you did it again LOL...first the bike now the helmet....do we have some unknown connection here mate????? LOL good stuff...better than my helmet! I started one the other night but got stuck on the ear cut outs...keep it up...

cheers bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 8 07-04-2011 , 04:15 PM
EduSciVis-er
Looks great so far CGWolfgang!

# 9 08-04-2011 , 03:58 AM
Subscriber
Thanks for the compliments guys!

Bullet: You know what they say great minds think alike! Either that or we both wound up watching Spartacus at the same time... I think you have a great start with yours though and I'd like to see what you do with it. Are you going to do a full Roman Legionare?

Quick edit: Also bullet I used a reference image from a website called history revisited that does replica and reenactment helmets. I used the roman calvary helmet which really helped with placement of the ear. (Even though I'm not going to model it) It has a lot of front/side/back/bottom references for helmets that would be useful for anyone wanting to do something with a roman theme.

Last edited by CGWolfgang; 08-04-2011 at 04:03 AM.
# 10 08-04-2011 , 05:00 AM
Lifetime Member
Sweet mate I will look it up. No Im not doing any characters mate...no good at organics...maybe when I learn...but I do have a few folders I call 'collections' which I have started. As I seem to have run out of love for Maya at the mo, I have started the weapons and armour etc...streetlights and all things construction...so when Im bored...a quick one hour model to keep the skills up. I hope to have several of these 'bits and bobs' folders mate...then when I do scenes etc Im not re-inventing the wheel....and of course I will share...

I dont watch telly mate.....

bullet1968

# 11 08-04-2011 , 08:01 AM
Nice work so far user added image love that helmet render. Is there a better concept picture of who you are making though? Its hard to tell from the original concept.

# 12 09-04-2011 , 11:11 AM
Subscriber
Bullet: I can understand getting burned out in Maya. But its smart to keep the skills up like you are. And when you do get to doing the full scenes you'll be ahead of the game when it comes to the bits and bobs!

Speedy: I wish there were more references to give people a better idea of the robo guy I'm trying to remake. But unfortunately it was such a small game that this was the best I could do. There's no drawings, manga's, updated content, remakes to run off of. It sold so few copies that it will probably never be remade which is a pity because it was a blast to play.

# 13 09-04-2011 , 11:18 AM
Subscriber
A quick update before I go to bed.

Unfortunately I hit a bit of a snag in my remake designing. I couldn't design a comically disproportionate body to the head I designed. I wanted to give the guy a big barrel chest and gorrilla arms and tiny legs to keep with the old sprite but nothing I designed matched. But I don't want to redesign the head because I like how it turned out.

So my remake is going to be less comical and more like when all the graphics from final fantasy were updated from FF6 to FF7. So this guy is going to look a lot more elaborate and serious than what I first invisioned.

Attached Thumbnails

# 14 09-04-2011 , 11:20 AM
Subscriber
it looks pretty damn cool

did you turn on smooth preview?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 15 09-04-2011 , 11:22 AM
Lifetime Member
That looks good mate....hhhhhmmmmmm I think you can still achieve the comic look.......shouldnt be a drama? I would still try it mate

cheers bullet

bullet1968