Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 20-07-2013 , 11:01 PM
Subscriber

replace faces with vertices?

Is there an easy way to replace faces with vertices? This is technically called a dual: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_polyhedron A simple example would be Create>Polygons>Platonic Solids[Icosadohedron] and if you replaces the faces with vertices, it would give you a Create>Polygons>Platonic Solids[Dodecahedron]. This is because naturally they are duals of each other. If you place on inside the other, you can see how the vertices match up perfectly with the faces of the other.

But figuring out how to do this with more complex objects is a little more tricky. I realize I could select all faces, extrude[faces not together, scaleXYZ = 0], then merge vertices to create vertices at the center of all the faces, but I'm still left with the rest of the geometry that I don't want. I can't simply select all the other vertices and delete them unfortunately.

Is there an easy way to do this? If you want an example to practice on:
Create>Polygons>Platonic Solids[Icosadohedron]
Select all vertices and Edit Mesh>Chamfer Vertices[.3333]
Select all faces and Edit Mesh>Extrude[local scale XYZ = 0, don't keep faces together]

and try to get the dual of that object because that's similar to the geometry that I'm working with.

# 2 21-07-2013 , 02:56 AM
Lifetime Member
Cant you duplicate the original faces first, merge verts, then extrude, delete geo 1?

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 3 21-07-2013 , 03:35 AM
Subscriber
I don't follow, could you elaborate a little more? I'm envisioning each face being detached from each other, then merged (or just scaled) down to a single point, but I don't see how you'd do an extrude from a single point.

# 4 21-07-2013 , 05:08 AM
Lifetime Member
ahhhhhh now I get you...sorry mate misunderstood. Short of Create Poly tool on each vert...the hard way...then I cant help, sorry mate. That looks like a script thing...maybe ND or Rick might help.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes