Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 29-01-2013 , 07:56 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore

10 things you dont get taught at Uni

# 2 30-01-2013 , 03:24 PM
Super Moderator
Something I see that gets repeated is "Don't be a diva!" lol.

- Genny
# 3 30-01-2013 , 06:12 PM
Subscriber
Never went to uni, But i remember learning the one form Nathan Davies a few years ago, from Jay actually.

Remember me helping you with the model, I had all of these great ideas for it, kept proposing them to you and in the end the hammer came down with" George, Its my concept...not yours"

Very hard, Yet very very good lesson to learn.

Has helped me out alot in the new jobs i do. at the same time, I wish people who knew nothing about rapid prototyping, realized that they knew nothing about it, and stopped trying to tell me how to do it LoL!

for instance.
" I want that part ( a ten inch diameter and 4 inch tall part) to be solid!.. " ..." Mr client, if you let me hollow that part out, it will be plenty strong for molds and save you roughly 1000$ on the prototype cost. "....mr clients reply " Hollow will not work for my needs!".. they don't understand that its the exact same part hollow or not, just a lot more economical. that sort of thing.

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 4 30-01-2013 , 09:16 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
am humbled George

thanks my friend

Jay

# 5 30-01-2013 , 10:10 PM
Subscriber
LoL Mate, you're humbled?
Imagine how i felt when i read that e-mail LmAo user added image

George

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 6 08-02-2013 , 02:21 PM
As stated in the post the days of one job are long gone and the idea of one skillset is gone as well. Another thing to learn is that people love coffee and food. Going up the ranks I have always taken time to cater to people within my team with coffee and food. This also branches out to other depts if I get to know the people. People never forget you if you show incentive to lighten their load every day and comfort those around you.

Another thing is that you must know the old principle or foundations of your craft. It really baffles me that people go to art school or say they want to be a artist and don't draw. Or even try to learn the principles of the counterpose and foreshortening along with the mathematical basis of proportions. These things pay off heavily in composition and concepting. I might preach speed but I have been there in the darkroom doing optical printing and compositing 2 seconds of images in a day. Something that takes people one click nowadays took me 8 hours and sometimes a weekend. One thing I enjoy asking is whether someone actually knows what a "china girl" is?

The only thing uni taught me was the foundation of the old tools and how to use them within a limited means. It also showed me how to work in a team and volunteer for others projects. What to look out for in the team settings and to spot points of weakness. Past that you can learn the programs online nowadays and this is what is truly changing the face of the college landscape.

Last edited by Chavfister; 08-02-2013 at 02:23 PM.