Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 08-09-2017 , 04:56 AM

Renderers and issues

Hi there,
Im trying to get a decent render of anything going,
I was using Blender but came back to Maya as it's SOO much easier and more intuitive to use, especially the mouse
and keyboard shortcuts, and everything in the menus and even the stiuff under the right click menu on maya is just perfect.
everything is where you think it should be right? Blender is a nightmare.
But staight away of the bat, it makes beautiful renders on my i5 laptop with intel chipset graphics.
Like the renders come out beautiful.

But in maya, i've installed Mental Ray, and when i try to render i get a bunch of errors in the output window, and the screen just renders black?
I tried Renderman but im using maya 2016, and you can no longer get the 2016 version. Only 2017 which of course doesn't work.
And then i tried Arnold. This basically gives me a bunch of output errors too and won't render a thing.

How come Blender allows me to do high quality renders with no issues, but maya won't? can you help?
Its not my machine as i can render beautifully in CD4 and Blender.

Thanks, my first post!!

# 2 08-09-2017 , 02:43 PM
Subscriber
what are you trying to render?
are you batch rendering?
what version of maya are using?
what renderer are you using?
if you create a fresh scene and make a cube and hit render, do you see anything?
we could be here awhile..

# 3 12-09-2017 , 01:45 AM

what are you trying to render?
are you batch rendering?
what version of maya are using?
what renderer are you using?
if you create a fresh scene and make a cube and hit render, do you see anything?
we could be here awhile..

Hi there,

are you batch rendering? No
what version of maya are using? 2016 (in about maya it doesn't say 2016.5 or anything, just 2016)
what renderer are you using? Mental Ray (latest version as i downloaded as a separate file from autodesk). and Renderman 2016
if you create a fresh scene and make a cube and hit render, do you see anything? When i create a new scene, Mental Ray renders a black screen the same as with a complex(ish) file. And with renderman, it renderes the box just fine. No artifacting like the complex model.

For some reason, since i reinstalled Maya 2016 (on the same machine) i can no longer render in Mental Ray, it gives me a bunch of errors like this. (Note i've rendered and it's just a black screen, but i also get this output window stuff)
user added image

Also, When i try to render in Renderman 2016 in maya 2016, just with 1280x720 and default settings with any type of light added from renderman (in this case i used a Dome light which is actually placing correctly) (Note; I've used this before and it worked fine) As you can see, it's not rendering the main part of the helmet, and i noticed this before also, but it's also skipping some of the joints in some parts of the models. Like the whole head is missing apart from the mouth piece here, but can you see the black lines kind of separating the mouthguard into 3 pieces... thats weird.

Ok firstly, here's what im trying to render.
user added image

#the first image is of the current render. And the rest of the images are showing previous renders in renderman from when i had 2016 / 2016 installed and working somewhat fine.
user added image

previous
user added image

user added image