Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 20-11-2011 , 02:15 AM
Subscriber

Rendering In Maya?? General Questions

Hello Guys-

When it comes to rendering in Maya. what are the realities of its engine. Do we have a solid render set up or do we need other plugins to make it look really nice?user added image

I hear a lot about V-Ray. Do we need V-Ray or can we just use Maya render by itself?user added image

Also How does Maya act with a full scene, like a room filled up with over 35 objects that vary in size.
at what point does Maya start to slow down because of mesh overload.user added image

Or is this not an issue here in Maya?user added image

Last question. Can we scrub dialog here in Maya? Is there a time line for dialog regarding animation or is that something that we have to leave Maya to do?user added image

Thanksuser added image

# 2 20-11-2011 , 02:41 AM
EduSciVis-er
Mental ray is a solid, full featured rendering engine. It should handle most everything you want to accomplish, provided you're willing to spend the time to learn it.

Your computer will slow down depending on your computer, not Maya.

I believe there is an audio import option. Not sure where it is specifically.

# 3 20-11-2011 , 02:47 AM
Subscriber
Thanks-

Is V-ray built into Maya, Or is it a separate thing all by itselfuser added image? Also I hear a lot about Mental Ray, what is thatuser added image?

Cheers!user added image

# 4 20-11-2011 , 02:49 AM
EduSciVis-er
Vray is sold separately, mental ray comes with Maya. Check the FAQs in this forum for enabling the mental ray plugin.

# 5 10-12-2012 , 02:10 AM

Help me please, render issue!

sorry im new to this site and didnt know how to post a new thread so thats why im writing in here. I have a problem with rendering in maya. All of the render settings are fine, i have set it to render as a .png file. I am using batch render for all of my frames (200). However i cannot open my render files. They are saved in documents>maya>default>images.....all the 200 frames are there but i cannot open a single one. The render icon is a page with a folded corner (not sure if thats right or not as that looks like a document file) but it does say .png in the name. I am trying to open these files in premiere pro to put it together as a movie/sequence however i cannot import any of these files into any programme.
sorry i am kind of new to maya and i have a deadline for uni in 2 days and need to render my animation as soon as possible, please help....
thank u
leyla xx

# 6 10-12-2012 , 08:50 AM
The thin red line
Could you upload one of the frames.............dave

# 7 10-12-2012 , 05:37 PM
Hi, hope it is OK to piggy back on this thread as this is a newbie rendering issue:

I have to do a straight forward cam fly around of a master-planned community. I set up a quick test scene to get the basic lighting blocked it. I used automated lights and standard lights and I am not really thrilled about the lighting but my larger issue is that I am getting unexpected and undesired effects happening.

I am having 2 issues-firstly you will see some lines in the textures causing almost cross hatching or diamonds (I have indicated these).

Second, the objects, though only textured with simple lambert base shaders, seem to have this sort of burned or dirty look to them. I am curious if this is just bad lighting job or some other setting I am missing?

I am ok if the answer is just I am a crappy lighter if it comes with a tip or two user added image

Maya Software
High Quality setting
Have not messed with depth shadows

https://s1290.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=0

https://s1290.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=1

Thanks!

# 8 10-12-2012 , 06:49 PM
The thin red line
You do need to start a new post its starting to get confusing who wants answers to what, just go to the forume you wish to post in then look near to the top there will be a button "new thread" press that and away you go.................dave

# 9 10-12-2012 , 07:23 PM
Got it thank you