Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 22-03-2012 , 10:43 PM

rising damp/mould procedural

hi,

I'm texturing some stone columns using procedurals - does anyone have any tips on how i could create random streaking or mould/stains creeping from the top or bottom of the geometry? there's a number of these columns in the scene, many in the bg, so i'd like them to be varied but they're not worth the pain of multiple txtr maps...

thanks

# 2 22-03-2012 , 10:54 PM
EduSciVis-er
Use a ramp for the overall effect, and plug some sort of noise into the bottom of the ramp, get the colors right, and then you'll have to play around for a while to get the right streakiness. Hope that helps. Let me know if you need clarification, but the best way to learn is to play around with noise and ramps on your own.

Last edited by stwert; 22-03-2012 at 11:00 PM.
# 3 22-03-2012 , 11:12 PM
yeah I have a ramp going, with a stucco plugged into the 'middle'. I've got noise or fractal or similar on the ends. up to yet I've noticed a) they're not particularly streaky, and b) I'd like to control them with an alpha so that just the black appears and the stucco is visible everywhere else. at the moment the white area of the noise is showing too...

# 4 23-03-2012 , 12:30 AM
Technical Director

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 5 23-03-2012 , 01:12 AM
EduSciVis-er
Try increasing the UV repeat in one direction to get more streakiness.

# 6 02-04-2012 , 11:11 AM

Try increasing the UV repeat in one direction to get more streakiness.

i tried that and it just about did the trick. looks a bit false close up but it'll do for distance.
I'm quite pleased with myself using a procedural at all!

thanks user added image