Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 361 02-05-2006 , 05:48 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
hehehe

Thanks Bobalie, yup as Mike says I'm pretty much aware of the crease down the middle. Lots still to do before that becomes priority.

Hey Mike thanks

Cheers
Jay

# 362 02-05-2006 , 07:30 PM
Update...

started doing the gun before the holster, so I can build around it instead of the otherway.

The original concept is on my site if you are interested

Cheers
Jay

user added image

# 363 03-05-2006 , 12:21 AM
holy crap, I just saw ALL of the pictures and WOW, I really wish I could do the same stuff you are doing user added image

How long have you been modelling? Do you only use maya or also 3dsmax and other programs?

# 364 03-05-2006 , 02:38 AM
Subscriber

How long have you been modelling? Do you only use Maya or also 3dsmax and other programs

sounds a familiar question, heres another, how many times have you been askeduser added image Not including the time i asked of courseuser added image

mate, that blocking for the jacket, are they all separate planes or have you split them, there polys, right?

I got the free down load tut, I'll check it later but I'm checking with you first.

the gun is a mean mother, looks like a .45 calibre with a .606 barrel. (i used to belong to a pistol club, for a couplke of months) and jesus jay, you forgot the trigger (just kidding):bandit:

take it easy and life will be easy

Last edited by mirek03; 03-05-2006 at 02:43 AM.
# 365 03-05-2006 , 05:53 AM
Wow that cloth looks really good! I'm new to the forums and see all these good 3d artists models :attn: my hats off to you man can't wait to se it done user added image

# 366 03-05-2006 , 10:12 AM
Cheers Guys

Mirek: the jacket started as a poly plane in the front view over the girl and was blocked out in that view only then once that was done I extruded it back for depth and then shaped and cut as needed. I can post an example later if you like. Hhehee, yeah that age old question (again)

And I'll add the trigger shortly...user added image

bobalie: I used Max many years ago in 1998 at an evening course for animation. I started 3d (1996-97) on a freebie program called Strata 3d (for Macintosh) Been doing photoshop since 94.
But Maya Ive been doing since end of 99. I dont really see the advantage of knowing more than one 3d package. Maya and Max are so in depth you could never learn them both properly. So I find it easier to master just the one. Though at some point I will add Z brush to my arsenal as thats like an 'add-on' for these types of programs for the finishing touch. Though obviously its a stand alone product in its own right, but Im comfy with Maya andthats all I need right now along with PS

# 367 03-05-2006 , 11:27 AM
Subscriber
hey mate, yea, I think i know what you mean, an example would clear it up. when you say blocked out
you mean you split a single pain (in the front of course) in to shape.., when you say cut and shaped after blocking, with what tool..? 'the slpit ploy tool'..'exrude tool'? could be so many up your sleeve i know it is a matter of the correct tool for the job (read experiance) but in this case can you tell me without having to write a tut..? i realise there is a tool for sewing but i haven't got to use it...user added image

thanks mate

# 368 03-05-2006 , 12:32 PM
Yeah I usually start with a poly plane with about 6-7 divisions then shape the garment inside of it and delete the unused polys.
Tools do include Extrude tool, Split poly tool, Merge Vertices and my personal fave MJPolytools'_edgeloop split.

As for the sew command that'll be in the uv texture editor.

Jay

# 369 03-05-2006 , 12:42 PM
Subscriber
cool, that WILL take some research, i'll look into it, cheers user added image

# 370 12-05-2006 , 09:41 PM
Hey Everyone

Sorry for no updates, Ive been busy finishing another SM dvd that will be coming soon, hence the delays on this piece of work.

Heres the final pistol model with all uvs done as well, and a rare ambient occ pass from myself (i dont usually do these thing whilest modeling) so enjoy. Back onto the girls other peripherals now ie pouches and belt holster etc.

Hopefully all this will be getting the start of textures next week

Cheers for now

Jay

user added image

# 371 13-05-2006 , 04:51 AM
Subscriber
Still comming along nice as always bro... I think i figured out what was wrong with the ears a while back, if you havent got that touched up yet?...

By the by...... Flap me if this is stupid but..
What shader did you use for that last render?...

G

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 372 13-05-2006 , 07:52 AM
G

Hey Hows it going?

Thanks for the crit on the ear, I have had a tweak but if you have any thoughts..., I'll be on msn later so perhaps have a natter then, and I'll send you the stuff for the shader on here too

best

Jay

# 373 14-05-2006 , 03:55 AM
Subscriber
I missed you on Msn, got your message a second ago.. when out ghost hunting with a friend today..

The ear thing, was it seemed that the ear was too planar , if tha tmakes sence.. I notice My ears, and 90 percent of all the ears i see.. (... i took a study of random ears over the last few days in contemplation of that a few weeks ago that poped up just out of boredom...

There needs , i think, to be a bit of concave curvature to the ear its self.. Not the ear canal and what not, just the overall shape of the ears outer edge.. kind of sweep outwards ever so slightly form the place where it connects with the head, to the lobe and outer edge area...
If i'm not making sence, let me know LoL

If you cant catch me on MSN tomorrow.. *today...what ever it is for you..lol ).. you can mial me the shader at My hotmail address... I apreciate it man...

Take it easy..
G..

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 374 14-05-2006 , 03:57 AM
cool, i hunt ghosts aswell, very fun:attn:

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 375 14-05-2006 , 03:59 AM
Subscriber
Hey Jay,
If you don't mind me asking, how do you get your render shader to look like that??