Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 13-05-2007 , 06:44 PM

a room/desk

putting all my lil works from college into a room....critique...going to add a window to get some 'natural' light

BEFORE
user added image

AFTER
user added image

user added image

# 2 13-05-2007 , 07:06 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
It is a good start, i've got a few comments though;
-the intensity of the desklight is to high, it also looks like as if it is a point light make this a spotlight.
- the fireplace should give some more light and the room should be a little bit darker to accentuate the light from the fireplace.
-it has an overall low-poly look try adding some details at the tablepaws for instance.
-give the glass on top of the table a blueish tint.
- use the texture that u used to color masonry of the fireplace as a bump aswell.
-don't texture the actual fire , model some firewood and add fire(dynamics).
-when you use spotlights in a scene like this turn on linear decay and turn up the intensity of the light.

Good luckuser added image

# 3 13-05-2007 , 07:54 PM
i attempted to add dynamics but the fire turned out to be one huge blob..guess i gatta try to reset the tool or delete the prefs to get it back to origional...professor never really went that far indepth with lighting..so this is a new thing to me

# 4 13-05-2007 , 10:41 PM
Also, see if you can add some reflection to the glass desk top. And if your going for realism, try and make the paper on the desk not look perfectly flat. You could try and find something similar around your house, then lay it on a table and use that as a reference.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 5 13-05-2007 , 10:45 PM
Jr.Who
#1 step to realism:

Anti-aliasing.
user added image

# 6 16-05-2007 , 07:02 AM
ok guys after an hour n a half of rendering....here she goes...critique...as u can see, im not one that can pick colors to go together...with the curtains! but one thing i did notice is why M.R isnt showinn the plants?

user added image

Last edited by spyder99945; 16-05-2007 at 07:05 AM.
# 7 16-05-2007 , 07:51 AM
hi spyder looks nice, i was trying to render plants too in M.R. but it didn't work out for me too :headbang: Maya Software is no Problem, but MR ignores my plants too user added image

In my opinion the desklamp is a bit to bright.

how did you model your curtains? nurbs?

cheers
mike

press any key - d'oh where's the any key?
# 8 16-05-2007 , 08:33 AM
yup used nurbs...still doesnt look right for me tho...never tried cloth before

# 9 16-05-2007 , 10:25 AM
Hey, nice improvements. Looking much better now. Fireplace looks more like a fireplace and I like the reflections on the picture that used to be where the window is now. Also, the papers on the desk, good job.

How did you do the fire in the fireplace? Looks like it could use some tweaking. Right now it looks more like a glow than actual fire, but good effort though.

One more thing, does the glass on the desk have beveled edges? If not, you may want to try a small bevel just to see how it looks.

Nice work spyder99945!

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 10 16-05-2007 , 10:42 AM
i have no idea how the fire came to look like a glow...i tried...but couldnt get it to a size that would fit i tried just to fit the glow under the 'wood'...i re-rendered it the last 2 hrs...made the 'glass' desk have more of a rounded edge and toned down the lamp glow....

user added image

Last edited by spyder99945; 16-05-2007 at 10:46 AM.
# 11 17-05-2007 , 03:26 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
to get the glow in your fireplace you could use a granite texture on your incandessence tab(bright colors give light)
is beginning to look like a roomuser added image

# 12 17-05-2007 , 03:46 AM
Definately getting better... the plant doesn't show up because MR doesn't render paint fx, that I assume you used for the plant.