Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 09-05-2003 , 08:11 AM
Subscriber

tangent key

Hello Everyone,

Can you guys help me with this question. I have been trying to figure this out but can't seemed to grasp. Please take a look at my attachment and advise me of what is the correct tangent setting for the sphere to ease in when it hits 120 frames then from 121 to end frame, the sphere would travel at steady pace?
I hope you guys have seen Babylon 5 so this way I can give an example. When a ship exits from jumpgate the ship would fastly ease in(close to a stop) then the ship would flys steadily at a slow pace. I hope that makes some sense.

Thank You,
TC

# 2 09-05-2003 , 09:23 AM
A single keyframe might not do what you like. You should consider inserting a couple of extra keys to create a quick but smooth transition from moving fast to slowing down.

Also, the sphere doesn't move very fast from frames 0-120 -- at least, not as fast as a Babylon 5 ship going through a jumpgate. The duration of that section should be something much faster, around the range of 12-14 frames (approximately half a second at 24 fps).

I've attached a modified version of your file to illustrate what I've described. The timing has been adjusted, and I have removed unnecessary keyframes in the graph editor.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job