Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 16 03-10-2002 , 04:01 PM
Subscriber
That solution is facinating, now that i finally think i understand it.

You wrote earlier about having problems about aligning curves to the surface... I guess you chose to make the curves and then tried to position them (curve and cv's) to the isoprams on the wing, so that they would eventually match...

but... if i get you right (?) then you wouldnt have to make those curves by hand....

Here's how i picture in making ONE section/profile;

1) just pick a isopram on the wing and make a curve out of it...

2)then do the same for with the bottom surface...

3) if the two curves are not right untop each other, in top orthogonical-view, then pick one of the curves and use the "snap-by-point-over-axis-move" to move the curve a little to the side, so that the two curves are right untop each other.

4) With these two seperate curves i guess you now need the front curve, and then attacth these three curves into one, for the birail-action later on.

5) just use the side view (orthagonical, as usual) to make the approximated front-curve... then move this curve in top view, "snap-by-point-over-axis-move"... and fit this front-curve so that it connects the two other curves for the attacthment action (under "curves" of course).

I dont know much about the birail, im still a newbie user added image.

I do not support Bush! Nor Saddam! Long live UN!
# 17 03-10-2002 , 04:10 PM
Subscriber
Although accuracy is perhaps needed, like when dealing with ARBITRARY objects, like objects, points, curves, edges aligned on top of each other...

I dont ALWAYS bother to use, say "point-to-curve-snap" accuracy, when making things.

I just zoom in good and move the parts as close to each other as i can in the viewport.

Um... im trying to say that accuracy isnt always an issue for me.

But when things have to snap, they have to snap.

I do not support Bush! Nor Saddam! Long live UN!
# 18 05-10-2002 , 05:03 PM

success!!

Well i finally did it, my wing is complete using only 2 sirfaces and a birail. Took a long time, and i have the rest of the plane to make still, but oh well.

i did as i said before, used profile curves that i extruded alone the length of the wing, alone other profile curve paths. this gave me the 2 surfaces for the top and bottom of the wing that i projected a curve onto, crucially a degree 3 curve i think (this gave me one trim edge for the top and bottom surfaces).
i then snapped curves to the inner front and rear corners of the surfaces and projected tangency, to connect top and bottom and provide the profile for the leadind and trailing edges of the wing.
Then i ran a birail round the wing. Its just like i said in my previous posts but i kept the curves simple to give me continuous trim edges.

Im rambling i know but i hope this helps someone a little, thanks for all the advice too.

B