Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 91 28-10-2002 , 04:58 PM
Subscriber

small update

Thanks a lot Kevin!
This project is now, only (lots of) details short of becoming a complete modeling project...
More to come!

Last edited by undseth; 29-10-2002 at 02:25 AM.
# 92 29-10-2002 , 02:15 PM
Subscriber

Tiny update

Things to do:
-make more details for the back side of the disc's and some on the disc's themselves + some more work on the bottomside.

-Texturing. Will start to texture smaller parts, but the disc's will have to stay textrue-less for now.

-Model a landing-ramp for stills and a short animation.

# 93 01-11-2002 , 04:06 PM
Subscriber
Undseth

Excellent model! Did you get that private e-mail I sent you a while back about your aeroplanes? What I would like to know is how long did it take you to make this bugger? Does it slow your machine down a lot in real-time when you are spinning around it and modelling - I assume you use layers to help.

Tickety boo and ta ta for a bit...
Gazzamataz
https://www.gazzamataz.com
# 94 01-11-2002 , 05:54 PM
Subscriber

Forgive me Gazzamataz!

Im terribly sorry for not replying to your email Gazzamataz, this is due to the fact that I never read it.

I may have overlooked it or it was deleted due to suspisious nature.

Please send it again, I'd love to read it!!!

I'll just write something here:

I have done some tweaking to the system files with an editor, but I'm not sure if there are any noticable benefits.
My machine used to save to virtual memory all the time, even windows if I remember correctly, so I made windows keep its "core processes" in ram memory (dont know if maya is in that category!).

Anyway, windows/applications doesnt page anymore it seems...

The file-size of the falcon at the end is 26.5 mb, and when the whole model is moved or rotated, it takes three seconds or so to update in wireframe, for each view.

I now have several layers for rendering purpose; in order to shave off some ram I hide the parts that doesnt have an apparent effect for the rendering (say the bottom-most details, when rendering the top side...).

Im not sure, but I'm thinking that some nurbs-parts has become a burden in addition to the many polygons. So I hide all the parts that I can.

A full render takes about 45 min with raytrace shadows.

History is killed (deleted from the menu) to shave off memory/bytes, but I usually have the history button turned on while modeling.

There is quite a difference in display-speed between working with a new project, contra working with say the millennium falcon. All movement is jaggy with the falcon, unless I hide most parts, prior to moving objects.

Well that's it, but tell me your question regarding the airplanes, I'd love to answer your questions.

# 95 01-11-2002 , 06:10 PM
Subscriber
Undseth

I cannot remember what I said in the e-mail now! But if you hit your user cp at the top of simply maya it shoud show you private e-mails it might still be there.

WOW! seems you have the patient of a saint, although which one I don't know... Big model.

Sorry how long have you spent on it? I think that once you finish the model and convert the whole thing to Polys that it ill speed up, NURBS are slow from what I have read...

Gotta go there shutting the office speak to you later!

Tickety boo and ta ta for a bit...
Gazzamataz
https://www.gazzamataz.com
# 96 01-11-2002 , 07:04 PM
Subscriber

oops I got mail

I found a mail from adldesigner, that was overlooked, terribly sorry there adldesigner.

I havent been to attentive to check for private mail in Simply Maya!!!

No mail was found from Gazzamataz, sorry. user added image

Btw, I can only speculate about the construction-time, but I guess an approximated 4+ weeks.

Doing the landing gear was the most fun, and fastest to model.

I have looked into converting nurbs' to poly's, but it will have to wait, but hey maybe I can save some ram, that would be really nice.

Oh, I made a poly-mesh out of the nurbs disc's in an attempt to texture it, but I couldnt figure out how to paint the "poly-output". I mean the output wasn't circular, it was quadratic (really wierd to look at, and impossible(?) to paint).

Did I "extract" the poly-mesh wrong ?????????
Please tell me somebody user added image.

Last edited by undseth; 01-11-2002 at 07:10 PM.
# 97 01-11-2002 , 11:13 PM

Re: oops I got mail

Originally posted by undseth
I found a mail from adldesigner, that was overlooked, terribly sorry there adldesigner.

I havent been to attentive to check for private mail in Simply Maya!!!

Hmm, tsk tsk .. suspicious!

LOL! Just joking! Not even I remember what that mail contained. Anyway, hope it still helped. user added image

Regards ...

# 98 02-11-2002 , 12:55 PM
Subscriber

Oh i forgot some details

Just another 200 polygon-primitives, really neccessary!

Last edited by undseth; 06-11-2002 at 03:19 PM.
# 99 03-11-2002 , 01:12 AM
Subscriber
Man! I envy you. I don't know if your attention to detail is an obsession or just plain insanity. Great work.

# 100 03-11-2002 , 01:22 AM
Subscriber

hehe

When I see the model I remember how I made it.

And it is no big deal user added image.

The last 200 polygons were simple cubes, scales and postitioned to fit inside the six round thingies on the pic above. (pluss some simple vertice moving)

All primitives, all the time.

The fun part is to watch it from some distance, then all the details plays with the shadows, and it looks nice.