Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 02-11-2002 , 12:54 PM
Subscriber

Animating

what id like a script to do is to aid me in setting keys for animation.
a box will come up which is the actual scripted plugin, and whatever object you click on, it will display the contents of its channel box in this new box, and when you click on the name of one of the attributes, it will key that one attribute instead of you having to go to the channel box, right click and select key selected

are there any scripts like this? if not, how would i go about coding it? cos i dont understand anything about mel

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 2 03-11-2002 , 04:31 PM
The Maya Mountain
I don't know enough about it to make my own dialogs or anything...

# 3 23-11-2002 , 11:08 AM
Subscriber
nem, do you still need that script? and what exactly you need help for? you wanna program it yourself? or have working example you can extend? or you want a thing that is ready for use?

let me know what you wish is, as i need to learn mel anyway, and the online manual is rather good compared to other programming languages i seen so far. when you want the script that is complete and ready, then dont be surprised if i make only real short names in it, so you have checkboxes named TX, TY, TZ, RX,RY,RZ,SX,SY,SZ... - for translate rotate and scale - so ALL attributes that can be keyed fit in a dialog box. but one thing, give me time to program that user added image

# 4 23-11-2002 , 12:29 PM
Subscriber
yeah i still do need that script, i have nothing on it because i dont understand anything about mel, was wondering if there was a pre-existing script for it, but there isnt user added image
sorry, i have no idea what u mean user added image and im not lookin for checkboxes, just clickable things

- Simon

# 5 23-11-2002 , 12:56 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Nem
sorry, i have no idea what u mean user added image and im not lookin for checkboxes, just clickable things

ok, this is what i plan to do for you:

one mel scripts: a window pops up, and there are all attributes that could be keyable looking like:
[x] TX [x] TY [x] TZ [ ] RX [ ] RY [ ] RZ .....

meaning that if you hit the key button also in this window you can set a key for tx, ty, tz, but not rx ry rz (for transtlate, but not rotate).

next time you want to key anything you ned not open the window and change settings, but just hit the "g" key to apply the keys to another selection or at another time.

what i really would like to have, is bind the window to a keydown, meaning if you press the key down and hold, the window pops up and you can alter the settings, and if you release then it makes the keys. so it is one button thing for all - and if you are satisfied with the selection, when you just have to hit the key and release at once and it makes the changes.

hope that is clear now ... user added image

# 6 23-11-2002 , 01:08 PM
Subscriber
that is kinda what i want, but i think its a tad bit more complex than that :S

basically:

you have objects in your scene, and you pick and object, go to the channel box and thats where you set keys normally right?

well for this, i want it so, you run the mel script and a window pops up, you select an object and that mel script windows *automatically* refeshes and it shows a list of that particular object's channels (like you said above with ur lovely diagram) but these channels in the script window wouldnt just be translate scale and rotate, it would include custom attributes as well (id say this is the most important part).
the last thing is, instead of having checkboxes, id like to have each attribute (eg. rotate y) onto a clickable box, and when that box is clicked, that one attribute is keyed, so you can just click names and keys would be set for the names you clicked (simpler than checkboxes user added image)
and then you deselect the object and the mel script window shows nothing inside it, you select another object and the mel script window would refresh showing all the channels/attributes of that new object

so its all about automation really
sorry if im being so totalyl awkward, cos i no i am user added image

- Simon

# 7 23-11-2002 , 01:19 PM
Hmm, that would be actually a quite handy script.
Maybe there´s a getAttribute command or something that would prove successfull don´t you think?
<-- doesn´t have the slighlest clue about programming.

# 8 23-11-2002 , 01:24 PM
Subscriber
handyness is the key to productivity user added image im just not productive enough to make it myself cos i dnt no how to do it user added image

- Simon

# 9 23-11-2002 , 02:16 PM
Subscriber
ok ok, now we come somewhere. you want a window, that is constantly open like AE, but it shows all keyable things with buttons (not only the rotate and scale, i thought my "..." where clear to include all, but did not want to write all down here just making example that due to place reasons in the window there will be no "translate x" but "tx" - and no "selection handle" but "sh")

and the buttons are orange if the key is set and if you push the button, it deletes the key and button becomes grey and if you push again you set the key and button becomes orange.

that can be done even easier than the tool i wanted to create - but i suggest a button that updates the state of the window - as constant update whenever you change your selection might kill performance if you have the window open always. another drawback - if only some of the selection has a key, then it say, that RX is keyed, even if not all selected things have keys there - but if you want to be sure that the whole selection has the same keys set, you could just click a attribute twice (first unsetting all keys that were set, and then setting every keys for all objects in selection).

edit: oh right i just reread - and you wanted the update automatically - i will try to do that - must be possible somehow :d

Last edited by BabyDuck; 23-11-2002 at 02:21 PM.
# 10 23-11-2002 , 02:36 PM
BabyDuck: Just a little warning. UI creation and management isn't an easy thing to do with mel. It's pretty strange if you ask me. So go light on the UI first and make sure you understand what you've done before going for any dynamic stuff.

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 11 23-11-2002 , 02:41 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by kbrown
BabyDuck: Just a little warning. UI creation and management isn't an easy thing to do with mel. It's pretty strange if you ask me. So go light on the UI first and make sure you understand what you've done before going for any dynamic stuff.

UI shall be hard to do? nope it is easy. you just make a window, put some buttons and assign what you want them to do.

believe me, there are languages where UI is damn hard to implement, mel is real easy to work with user added image

# 12 23-11-2002 , 02:46 PM

Originally posted by BabyDuck
UI shall be hard to do? nope it is easy. you just make a window, put some buttons and assign what you want them to do.

believe me, there are languages where UI is damn hard to implement, mel is real easy to work with user added image

Hey BabyDuck ... Lol ... that´s the K-man talking. If he says its a bit strange it is. LOL user added image

By the way, K ... any way that the references planes' script could be customized into inserting more reference planes? for example bottom ... or the other sides? that would complement it very well .. I´m creating a button for it. Perhaps you could include it in your zip file user added image

# 13 23-11-2002 , 02:53 PM

Originally posted by adldesigner

By the way, K ... any way that the references planes' script could be customized into inserting more reference planes? for example bottom ... or the other sides? that would complement it very well .. I´m creating a button for it. Perhaps you could include it in your zip file user added image

They would be easy to implement. I'll take a note of this, but first there are some other issues I have to conquer first...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 14 23-11-2002 , 03:03 PM

Originally posted by kbrown
They would be easy to implement. I'll take a note of this, but first there are some other issues I have to conquer first...

Right on bud! user added image

# 15 23-11-2002 , 03:18 PM
Subscriber
ooh lots of complicated mel talk user added image
babyduck: you know you said you could make it so when you click a button in the mel box and it keys (turns it orange in the channel box) and when you click again it deletes the key? mayb when you scrub the time slider, and it reaches a point where the object's attribute already has a keyframe, then in the mel window, that attribute would be yellow as well, just so the user knows if there already is a keyframe, cos otherwise you could go around deleting all the keyframes you have when all you want to do is SET them
or
what about in the script box, you have 2 buttons for each attribute in the channel box? one for key, one for delete key? but i spose it wud still have to turnorange for you to no if there already is a key or not

*EDIT*: just had a thought, would it be easier, animation wise, to have a slider in the mel script box as well? cos then you could do all animation in the new window and key it really fast as well without having to go into ur viewport or channel box
there shud also be a button at the bottom which says "Key All" hmm, wonder what that would do user added image

- Simon

Last edited by Nem; 23-11-2002 at 03:26 PM.