Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 09-01-2005 , 08:16 PM
Subscriber

add a backround

hi,
i'm tired of the black backround on all my render, but i dont know how change the backround. anyone can help me? user added image

IMG4. :bandit:

# 2 09-01-2005 , 10:40 PM
Open up up the outliner and select the camera you're rendering from (perspective camera is the default). Now open up the camera's attributes in the attribute editor and go to the environment tab. Adjust the background color to whatever your heart desires.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 3 10-01-2005 , 12:39 AM
Subscriber
thx, but i got another problem user added image
i got two camera and i want to put a picture in backround, how can i make that if i dont want to see the same picture on each camera?

# 4 10-01-2005 , 02:00 AM
Are you trying to setup reference images?

# 5 10-01-2005 , 02:15 AM
Subscriber
no, i'm doing the Izzy Mig tutorial and he dont say how put the a backround. So i got a mig flying around and two camera.

well i'm not got some problem to explain so here a pic:
user added image
so a want to put a panoramic backround to have a nice result with the two cam

# 6 10-01-2005 , 03:35 AM
Have you gone through all 6 parts of the tut? The description reads that it comes with " High-medium res environment textures" and goes over "Creating a basic environment" as well as "usage of Render Layers for better compositing control." I haven't viewed the tutorial but my guess is that after all the lessons on animating and visual fx, you'll find info on adding the background/environment in Maya or in a separate compositing software. Let me know if that's not the case.

# 7 10-01-2005 , 03:48 AM
Subscriber
the tutorial end quickly and he don't talk about "Creating a basic environment". In the last part of the tutorial he give us a .jpg of a large sky but he don't say anythings about creating a environment.

# 8 10-01-2005 , 02:56 PM
One way I can think of offhand is to surround the entire scene with a sphere or half-sphere (creating a dome), reversing the normals, and mapping the sky texture to it. Another way would be to use the texture as a background in a compositing app and composite the animations on top of it. You could also read up in the manual on using envsky.

# 9 11-01-2005 , 02:51 AM
Hey Nitro, thanks for the email, sorry folks, been super busy.... surprise, surprise.. user added image

Anyhoo, for the animation, I just placed the pic in the bg layer of a comp in my compositor, and just simply moved it to the left as the animation played. Simple.

But, if you want a more realistic environment, check out the file (mini-tut) that I made tonight using the link below.

I placed a horizontal nurbs plane from the left-most viewable side of the camera view in the animation, all the way to the right-most side of the camera animation.

So, of your camera aims to the left, then pans/tilts right for example, make sure the plane extends slightly to the left of the view, a little out of frame, all the way to the right extent of the right pan, again, a little out of frame to the right.

Then use a bend modifier to bend the plane to maintain the psuedo-paralax arc of the camera.

DOWNLOAD my 2 Maya 5 scenes, and a Cinepak-encoded AVI showing the steps in this one RAR file HERE.

Good luck!

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 10 11-01-2005 , 02:33 PM
Subscriber
thx for your help user added image

"I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character"
- Martin Luther King, Jr.
# 11 11-01-2005 , 05:06 PM
No problem, hope it helps!

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 12 11-01-2005 , 10:40 PM
I used a standard skybox. Create a box, and 6 textures (5 if you already have a ground. I'd recommend using Terragen for the skybox... really powerful... and pennies compared to Maya. Note: Light-link OFF the skybox, and set the textures to your illumination, not color shader attribute.

The results:

user added image

I figure -- hey -- if every game I know of uses this method -- its GOTTA work :b