Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 19-08-2005 , 07:44 PM

moving IK

hi there - I have a quick question about above said.
ARMsetup -> shoulderJoint - elbowJoint (goes about to the middle of the underarm) - forearmJoint - wristJoint. in order to rotate the forearm along its own axis the IK starts at shoulderJoint and ends with the forarmJoint. for more ergonomical handling I need to pointConstraint a locator with the resulting effector where the hand starts of. that for I have to snap-move the IK´s pivotPoint to the wristJoint.

here´s the problem. it is a known bug with maya 5.0. after moving the IK´s pivotpoint to another joint the there´s an updateproblem. but right after grabing the IK again and moving it the scene gets updated - no problem.

I work with maya 6.0 and my scene doesn´t get updated. the pivot jumps back to it´s origin every time. after struggling 1 hour with the IK and pivot it suddenly worked out. but the pain in the ass is, it´s neither reproducable nor is it possible to mirror the jointchain including the IK correctly. I don´t even know why it worked out once.

maybe someone has encountered this occurence too and has something to tell about.

cheers!

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.
# 2 23-08-2005 , 05:21 PM
the answer came within the question if anybody likes to know.

create IK. go hypergraph. grab effector. snapmove its pivot to some other joint.

happened accidentally in my case. I thought I had to grab the ik_handle and move its pivot -> mistake, can´t be moved.

cheers!

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.