Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 20-02-2010 , 11:16 PM
Subscriber

Chirone - Primitives

ok here we go... 4 attempts at this...

Attempt 1
person supposed to be on a beach at sunset but i couldn't get the sun to look great so i made him training by moonlight

lots of light linking
29 primitives

user added image

user added image

Attempt 2
wallE and EVE when they first met and she shot at him
the little soccor balls are rocks because she just blew up a rock...

50 primitives, could be less since there are some that aren't showing on the other side of wallE

user added image

user added image

Attempt 3
someone bursting in through double doors into a darkened room
was meant to be like the scene where aragorn walks into some room in lord of the rings...
don't think i did it too well though...

37 primitives
user added image

user added image

Attempt 4
final attempt.. probably keep this as the entry picture

someone sitting on a rock at night playing the flute next to a camp fire

36 primitives and a lot of light linking
user added image

user added image

who says 50 primitives isn't enough..? :p

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 2 21-02-2010 , 12:13 AM
Subscriber
take it back. theyre cool. only got round to watching wall e recently. i like that one.

# 3 21-02-2010 , 12:48 AM
Super Moderator
I really like the Wall -E one but my fav has to be the campfire and flute, that one is really cool.

- Genny
# 4 21-02-2010 , 07:52 AM
Subscriber
not as fancy as GecTs with the whole lighting of the sky with stars....
user added image
but i think it was the most interesting looking one out of the four.
not sure how i'd have lit the wallE picture to make it look as cool as this and GecTs

i just turned the intensity of the point light inside the fire up to 200 and gave it linear decay

i'll never understand why i have to turn it up so much for any light to show...
all the tutorials i've seen where they've mentioned decay never turn the intensity up so bright...

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
# 5 22-02-2010 , 05:59 PM
Super Moderator
I think the Wall-E one would be very difficult to pull off because we can't use textures or colors even to create the feel of the whole barren trash covered planet thing.

Light intensity in relation to fall off would of course be scene scale dependent, if the bulk of the objects in your scene are on average oh i dunno say 20 units away and the light is dying off at around 15 then yeah that won't work. The usual problem with cranking up the intensity however, is that it overexposes surrounding objects by the point it actually illuminates the scene. You can see it on your campfire logs. In this case, since we're only using the gray lambert, the mia_exposure lens shader shouldn't be so troublesome, give it a whirl, it'll clamp down those over-brights and you'll find you can do A LOT more with your lighting and even some contrasting and such.

Ooh maybe you can make a few more soccer balls to represent pebbles around the larger rock and a few thin planes for grass?

- Genny
# 6 23-02-2010 , 09:07 AM
Subscriber
i've never heard of such things until now

i tried reading the documentation on it but i've been getting way too pissed off at apple and the ipad and iphone for doing what i say and not what i want... and that makes it harder to concentrate on learning new things...

but. i did apply it and also turned the point light intensity down to 100 and turned up a directional light that is only linked to the fire to 2.
i found out that my primitives are hugely scaled for some reason... the grid just appears to be little thing inside the giant rock that the person is sitting on.. might explain why i have to turn up the point light's intensity so much in this instance..

as suggested i added some soccor ball pebbles, i took a bit of hammer's work to put in some grass made from helix primitives but i dont think you can see them all to well.

i wasn't aware (and still not) that you can (or probably can't) change how far the point light extends before completely dying off... i tried the manipulator tool as that usually gives some funky controls to play with when using fields in dynamics, but i dont think it changed anything..

i gave the mia_exposure_simple a go on the camera (probably should make a new camera instead of using the default persp..) and just played around with the settings and refering to the documentation

i think it looks better... either way i think i can only stick with the one above since it's probably way past the deadline!

user added image

oh and i stopped the directional light that is meant to be the moon light from casting shadows

Last edited by Chirone; 23-02-2010 at 09:10 AM.