Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 26-07-2006 , 02:38 PM
Subscriber

Maya_PLE

Hi you all,

Guess I don't need to say I'm a noob here. user added image
I downloaded Maya_PLE (Personal Learning Edition) in order to get an advanced start on Maya, because at work they are considering to buy it. I work as an editor / compositor in a Belgian Film Production company(mostly commercials and music Videos).
Anyhow, on this site I found out to buy points in order to be able to download tutorials, wich I did, I bought 100, downloaded the Ninja Tutorial, and full of expectations began on my first 3D journey. I was amazing. After having seen the tutorial I opened up my Maya_PLE and got stuck after 2 minutes, because the program doesn't show the images. I understand that the logo and other image-filling text is needed in order not to be able to render it out and use it (without paying for the prog!) but this is not even showing renders! I mean how am I supposed to learn something if I can't see what I'm trying to build. Maybe (and I hope so) there is something that needs to be switched on or off, or there is a preference not turned on (that would immedatly explain my noobness). Can anyone tell me what to do, apart from buying the prog myself off course.
Is it überhaupt possible to see psd files in Maya_PLE? The logo in the image is of no importance, as long as I can see the model!!!

Hope I didn't make a complete fool out of myself, and hopefully someone can help me.
Thanks.

M.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 26-07-2006 , 02:44 PM
u assigned the texture right?
press 6 to go to texture mode and the image will probably appear

~The Computer Is A Moron~
# 3 26-07-2006 , 02:53 PM
Dont worry man, think its one of the things that everybody gets confused on.

try pressing 6 (if the picture still looks funny select the lambert that you assigned the picture to and in the attributes for it under hardware texturing change this to 256 x 256 as this makes the picture more visible.

P.S. dont know if you have but watch the introduction videos as they go over the basics.

cheers

# 4 26-07-2006 , 03:51 PM
Subscriber

Toolbars

In my struggle to get the image to appear (the guy "Kurt" said press 5 for the raender and press 6 for the image (nothing happened)) I started to play around clicking buttons and hidden stuff, but now I kindda lost a couple of my onscreen tools. This is what I have left! HELP!
P.S.: Thanx for the quick reply guys. Gster123? I wanted to do what you said but got lost not having the windows.....

Gr.

Attached Images
# 5 26-07-2006 , 04:12 PM
Subscriber
display---> UI Elements--Restore UI Elements.
the first 6 options are to just hide different parts of maya's UI elements.

A pint of example is worth a gallon of advice!!
# 6 26-07-2006 , 04:43 PM
CTRL+Space toggles throught the different screens, layers, attributes none.

# 7 26-07-2006 , 06:41 PM
Subscriber

Ol

Thanks for the advices!:attn:

# 8 27-07-2006 , 01:48 PM
Subscriber

Bad news

Hi guys,

My jumping smiley icon was a bit premature since none of the suggested methods worked. So I'm stuck with still with the same problem.

My best guess is that it is impossible to render stuff (even to see them in Maya_PLE (for Mac)).
This fact drove me to use the c4d r8 that I had, but never used. And frankly, I WANT THAT MAYA!
Anyone can help me out with a trial version, but one that WORKS? Hmm any suggestions?

:headbang:
M.

# 9 27-07-2006 , 01:49 PM
Subscriber

UI did work!!!

The restoring of the user interface worked just fine.
But that didn't help with the other problem...

M.

# 10 27-07-2006 , 02:59 PM
what do you mean when you say the program isn't displaying images or renders? can you give a description of what steps you take to render an image and what the outcome is?

a few specifics help when trying to pinpoint a problem.

Accept no substitutions.
# 11 27-07-2006 , 03:12 PM
Subscriber
i beleive he means his image planes are not showing ...but i could be wrong ..

he is talking about how kurt puts an image on a plane and then when to switch to that view to see it ...hits 6 on the keyboard and it is visable ..

one thing in your pic ...cut ..i dont see the image plane you setup ? you had to make a poly plane first ..and then go to hypershade options and then lambert and then attach your image ..then you middle mouse drag it onto the plane you have created ..in the picture you setup i dont even see a plane ?

Last edited by mmoore5553; 27-07-2006 at 03:18 PM.
# 12 27-07-2006 , 03:20 PM
In the view port just go.. view -> image plane -> import image and then there it is user added image (if you press 6 user added image)

# 13 27-07-2006 , 03:22 PM
Subscriber

Details

Ok,

I will explain this as good as I can.

I downloaded the Maya_PLE version for Mac.
Then I bought some points and got me the Ninja Model Tutorial.
I'm following what the guys says, create a plane, rotate, ....
Go to render, hypernurbs, ...
After having created a Lambert, having renamed it Fronthead and double clicked it (to open the parameters!) you go to color (little checkerbox on the right), click file in the pop-up window, and finally click on the right folder to choose the correct file you want your Lambert to be assigned with.
After that you drag your Lambert onto your plane in the "3d" world. Nothing happens. You press 5 and then everything gets grey. Then you press 6, after wich the picture (in this case the face) appears in the "3d" world.
This is where it stops working for me.

When I hit 5 the areas that should become grey, DO become grey BUT with the watermark in the image (wich is logic knowing that I use the PLE-version(Personal Learning Edition -FREE download!!) But one would expect, after having hit 6 (a zillion times, on a GOOD machine - G5 dual 2,3, 4Gb RAM etc...)to be able to see the picture (the head!) and this doesn't happen. So as a result I'm unable to continue because I can't reference my shape to the picture (wich is the whole ID of the setup!)

Therefore I was wondering...maybe it IS like that, maybe you can't see the picture in that Maya_PLE version? Or is this BS? Is it a "bug" on the Mac version? Is it me? Lack of intelligence? Fatigue mybe? I dunno?

Please help me out.

THANKS A LOT !!
The Eternal Noob!
M.

P.S.: For a reference of the last steps, there is a screenshot after I pressed 6 (for the image to appear) a bit higher up.

P.P.S.: The plane is there, in the top image(Left side is tutorial-right side is me), the other one was to show I lost my UI. But this is restored...thnx again!

Last edited by cut_the_krab; 27-07-2006 at 03:27 PM.
# 14 27-07-2006 , 05:56 PM
since you're using a mac, are you using a two button mouse or a single? (two with a wheel would be the best) there might have been a click (right, left, middle... something!) lost in translation between pc and mac. i don't have the tutorial myself so i don't know what he says while he's doing it.

one thing i suspect is that you might have accidentally never even attached your material to the plane.

just to be sure, with the hypershade still open, left click on your plane. hit the 6 button. like you said, you won't see anything. after that, in the hypershade, right click on your lambert and you should see an option in the marking menu that says 'assign material to selection'. that should make sure your material is actually attached to the plane.

since 6 (display hardware shading) was already pressed, your head should appear on the plane. if not, then there's other things we can look at.

Accept no substitutions.
# 15 27-07-2006 , 06:03 PM
Subscriber

OK

Well I'm already in suspence, but I have to wait till tomorrow 'cause I have to do this at work.
But I use a Microsoft mouse (since I use Shake on daily bases) with ('bout 7 or 8 ) buttons. Thing is middle mose starts up dashboard - maybe I ought to switch that off.

I'll also try the other option.
Thanks for the reply.
Keep you posted.

Gr.
M.