Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 20-07-2008 , 10:59 AM

Mel script?? How to write float numbers to a text file

Hi All

I want to write some attributes of my objects to a text file using Mel . The values are stored in an array named W.
this is my the part of the code to do this :

$exampleFileName = ( "example.txt" );
$fileId=`fopen $exampleFileName "w"`;
fwrite $fileId $w[0];
fclose $fileId;

but it seems that Fwrite cannot handle float numbers? Do you have any idea?

Bests
Tootak

# 2 20-07-2008 , 01:29 PM
Senior Software Developer
Try assigning the float number to a variable, and declare that variable as a floating point number before asking it to write and then output it to screen prior to writing it to the txt file to ensure that works...

float $w;
$w = `sum command`;

As an example...

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)

Last edited by R@nSiD; 20-07-2008 at 01:37 PM.
# 3 20-07-2008 , 02:02 PM
In the MEL command command ref it recommends using fprint to write to a text file.

As Chris suggested make it print the array, also if you have an int in a float array, dont know why but maya thinks its a int eventhough you tell it it's a float, you need to have the .XX after the number eg 0.0 to make a float.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle