Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 15-08-2003 , 02:34 PM

Finding a flat in london

Why is it soooo hard! arghhh! Everyone I talk to seems to say something different about where to live! It seems to me that all parts of london are either: too expensive, too crap, filled with drug addicts and/or pimps, dangerous, overcrowded, trendy... the list just goes on!

Does anyone have any ideas about how to find a 3 bedroom flat in a nice area short commuting distance to Soho and Angel.... even if it's just an area that would be cool. I'm thinking of kentish town/camden area at the moment but I just dont know enough abou the place to be sure.....user added image user added image user added image user added image user added image user added image

Any help is much appreciated!

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 2 15-08-2003 , 02:59 PM
The Maya Mountain

Re: Finding a flat in london

Originally posted by Pure_Morning
It seems to me that all parts of london are either: too expensive, too crap, filled with drug addicts and/or pimps, dangerous, overcrowded, trendy... the list just goes on!

Isn't that a description of the entirity of London? user added image j/k lol

# 3 15-08-2003 , 03:28 PM
Kevin

Re: Finding a flat in london

Originally posted by Pure_Morning
It seems to me that all parts of london are either: too expensive, too crap, filled with drug addicts and/or pimps, dangerous, overcrowded, trendy... the list just goes on!

yep thats london! Its a shit hole. I doubt that you will gind a 3 bedroom place around the areas you want for less then 2 k a month but Im not to sure user added image

# 4 15-08-2003 , 03:28 PM
Subscriber
Camden is nice enough although parts of it are indeed filled with drug dealers and pimps. But then it has good restaurants and there are always people about. I rather like Camden. Lived in Hampstead for a while but that is pricey. Not as good for your commute but worth a look as there are usually a lot of rentals are Docklands (Isle of Dogs) and some stuff to the West like Chiswick, Hammersmith etc. Docklands has some great stuff and is usually bigger for the money. I lived in Chiswick for a couple of years and it was a great place to live. You could do worse than have a look in Islington though, I have friends who live there and it's rather jolly.

Good ideas when researching London areas from scratch - ring your house insurance company for a list of high insurance postcodes and ring the local police station for a view on no go areas, they are usually happy enough to help.

Last edited by Witchy; 15-08-2003 at 03:34 PM.
# 5 15-08-2003 , 03:28 PM
Kevin
or and you forgot to say :

it also stinks

# 6 15-08-2003 , 03:43 PM
Witchy: That's some good advice! I will have to do that. The only thing is the time frame for all of this is really short. I want to go up to london on wed the 20th and look at some places. And then move in by the 1st of sept.... good luck to me....

And Kev yup you're right.... user added image but it's where the work is (More's the pity!)

IMDB
# 7 15-08-2003 , 03:50 PM
Subscriber
You might consider renting a room in a shared house before looking for a longer lease. Nothing as grim as getting stuck in a rough place you can't get out of. I shared with friends when I had my first job in London and it gives you a base to look for somthing better from.

# 8 15-08-2003 , 04:02 PM
yeah that's what we're doing. There's me plus two more from my course we want a six month rental only cause this industry is all contract based work so... It's just a case of we REALLY need something asap just to have it sorted out for sure..

I've found some that I want to look at so I'll give them a call tomorrow

alan

IMDB
# 9 15-08-2003 , 04:38 PM
You could get a place outside of london and commute in. Might be cheaper and nicer then.

# 10 15-08-2003 , 06:11 PM
Subscriber
Try Golders Green. Hampstead is expensive.

Edgware is not good but could do.

I tell you something for free London is a SHITHOLE!! the novelty wears off after a bit. Chics are trash, it's dirty, stinky and full of hookers,drug dealers and drunk people.

I just love LONDON :-)

grrrr
# 11 15-08-2003 , 10:59 PM

Originally posted by slickrenderer
Chics are trash, it's dirty, stinky and full of hookers,drug dealers and drunk people.

Sh*t. I want to move to London! :p

# 12 15-08-2003 , 11:35 PM
I'd move to england just so I could tell people I live in Wickanham-on-byron or some such street. Hahahaha. Or move to Wales and be all like "I llive in Cwn-bryn-wry. It's along away away from 85th Street. user added image

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 13 16-08-2003 , 06:21 AM
Subscriber
>>I tell you something for free London is a SHITHOLE!! the novelty wears off after a bit. Chics are trash, it's dirty, stinky and full of hookers,drug dealers and drunk people.

A lot of this stuff about London is pretty much rubbish imho, I lived and worked there on and off since leaving university, and I still have a flat there as my wife was working there up to his month, and that stuff is just stuff you get in any major city.

In London you get great galleries, great theatre, great eating, good social stuff all within easy reach, certainly there are crap parts but it's no worse or better than anywhere else. You also find that each area has it's own character and atmospehere - you don't need to go into the centre to have a good time.

The trick is picking a decent bit and making the most of it, but writing it all off as horrible is just silly - it's not exactly a village with one street!

# 14 16-08-2003 , 10:31 AM

Originally posted by Witchy
... - it's not exactly a village with one street!

No? user added image

:p

# 15 16-08-2003 , 12:29 PM

it's not exactly a village with one street!

Yeah they wouldnt be able to fit in all the hookers, pimps and smack dealers on one steet! user added image

But witchy's right you need to just find a good bit I guess. But that's really hard when you live 2 hours away and cant find the time to get up there and have a look at flats and stuff.... user added image

Alan

IMDB