Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 22-11-2013 , 05:47 PM
Subscriber

Maya to AE: Video Screen Tutorial Anywhere?

I would appreciate help. My goal is to add video in AE so that the footage can be swapped without having to re-render scenes in Maya.

There are advanced tutorials with complex scenes about render passes, but I've yet to find one the simple task of getting a 3D object with a screen composted in AE. So I followed these two tutorials by Marc Russo:

Creating a Luma Matte in Maya

https://vimeo.com/32740826

Importing Camera Data from AE into Maya

https://vimeo.com/32726702

The luma matte tutorial worked best in achieving the desired effect (sorta like this Action | VideoHive Templates | After Effects Project Files - YouTube), but in my self-test composite, the video while masked properly appears to be floating behind the matte -- not tracked with the geometry.

I am sure that a simple tutorial by one of you amazing pros would solve this.

Lil
# 2 02-01-2014 , 03:33 AM
This is a simple export out as a .ma file. The ASCII file is read natively inside of Maya. You would need to export out the luma matte as you say and apply a locator to the geometry to store the 3D translation geometry. Back in Malta I needed to do this to track a stupid toothfairy to apply pixie dust with Particular. Make sure you name the respectively "null_0" and so on based on which one. You might have to bake out the data on the locator as well. I onestly can't remember but it will work.