Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 121 25-02-2006 , 06:55 PM
I think grabbing some photo hair and using it for the edges in the hair in the colour map would help quite a bit. Either that or following one of those photoshop texture hair tutorials that are on the net (would post a link but I'm at my brothers)

If you cover the top half of the head with your hand (eyes to the top of the head) then the bottom half of the face looks cool - maybe slightly darker contrasting shadows are needed. Also the shadow on the neck looks quite plastic. The top half still needs some work on the eyes and the hair. It is going great though and is looking damn cool user added image

Showed it my brother and asked who was and he said it was bjork straight away user added image

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 122 25-02-2006 , 07:02 PM
i agree, it would look better with real hair and all else that t1ck said. It doesnt hurt it to look better even though it looks awesome. user added image

-Aric
Nemo hic adest illius nominis.
www.aricstudios.net.tc
www.aricstudios.com
# 123 25-02-2006 , 07:57 PM
Cool hair map jramauri! Thanks for posting. It really helps to see other uv maps.

Your model is looking great.

# 124 25-02-2006 , 10:36 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
The model is very good but I feel the lighting is letting it down big time. Mental Ray by any chance? With an added spot/directional?

What this lacks is overall contrast, I'd really make it easier on yourself by lighting it from one side with a medium intensity light then hit it with a harsher light from the back. Also add some spec to it as shes looking very dry and pasty.

Cheers
Jay

# 125 26-02-2006 , 06:51 AM
19 year Veteran

What this lacks is overall contrast, I'd really make it easier on yourself by lighting it from one side with a medium intensity light then hit it with a harsher light from the back. Also add some spec to it as shes looking very dry and pasty.

I agree jay. The main light jramaui has in front of the face is killing the contrast.

For your mental ray jramaui, up the sampling to say 30/300, and see how that works out. 500 FG rays is a good level work with.

I would like to see your specular map and your sub surface map if you would be so kind. user added image

Last edited by THX1138; 26-02-2006 at 06:53 AM.
# 126 27-02-2006 , 07:38 PM
Great idea t1ck135, I'll try to use real hair on her texture. If not, I know a good painting tutorial about the subject.
Well, not much work here, unfortunately, but I tweaked the colors a little, fade the lights, increased my final gather settings, repainted the eyes, and worked a little on my SSS shaders. I didn't get the thing of rendering in layers, when I render, Maya generates an image with blank layers. I still have to paint my textures apropriately (even my specular map, that I', m not going to show, because it's terrible). Thanks for your advices dudes I'll see what I can get until tomorrow.

https://www.amauriilustra.com.br/CGTalk/Bjork_42.jpg

Yes, I know there's something strange on her right shoulder. I'm trying to discover what a hell is it.

# 127 27-02-2006 , 07:44 PM

wow

looking good, although it looks like the ears a little flat in some areas, but its just shadows, it looks awesome though.

-Aric
Nemo hic adest illius nominis.
www.aricstudios.net.tc
www.aricstudios.com
# 128 27-02-2006 , 08:58 PM
nice work, i think what might add a bit to yer fial render is if u chage the camra slightly to the side cause i can see some really nice detail in the ear area n i would like to see that a bit more in the final render,
just an idea
havefun

# 129 27-02-2006 , 09:16 PM
Looks awesome man, cant wait till you get the final tweeks done

# 130 27-02-2006 , 09:47 PM
Good work - the eyes are looking a lot better and I really like the tilt to the head that you have added - it really invites the viewer in. Just one thing - not sure if it is the highlights that you have put in, but the eyes look a little cross-eyed. Not sure about this though. Do you see what I mean or is it just my hangover?

Well done mate - you have really pushed this in the right direction.user added image

# 131 27-02-2006 , 09:56 PM
Thanks, dudes. Arran, I think you're right. I have a lot of problems with right eye yesterday, because it was behaving in a strange, really strange way. It wasn't scattering, it was catching lights that it shouldn't, it was a pain in my ass. I wasn't understand nothing, but today I simply deleted and imported a new one. But I think I must place it more carefully. Thanks.
So, let's see until I can go on this.

# 132 27-02-2006 , 09:59 PM
looking good jramauri - that sss stuff sounds like it can be very hard to get right user added image
I think darker shadows with softer edges would help bring out the contours of the face better

looking forward to seeing the final piece and good luck!

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 133 01-03-2006 , 01:53 AM
hey if you made her skin darker you could make her look like Naobi (NI-O-BEE) in the matrix

# 134 01-03-2006 , 03:41 AM
And this is the end of this story!

This is my final still:

https://www.amauriilustra.com.br/CGTalk/Bjork_Final.jpg

I worked more on textures, added a bump map, tweaked lights, SSS (again!) and shadows.

Well, I'd like to thank all of you that have followed this thread and helped me to take my model to this level. Model humans are a hard task, because eveyone can see with ease where your mistakes are. But I got to admit, I'm very proud of this work, because I never have made a realistic model before, and I think this one became real good. Not perfect, but good enough for my present level of knowledge in 3D. So, I thank you all of you again, and wait you for the next challenge.

Now it's time to go sleep! user added image

# 135 01-03-2006 , 05:07 AM
19 year Veteran
Now that looks Great!! :attn: The skin looks really good and makes her look realistic! :bow: The eyes are the only thing that could still use more work, but since your new to this kind of modeling ( modeling and rendering for realism ), the over all results are fantastic! I am very impressed with this work, and I'm shure Bjork would be impressed aswell. Best of luck, and like I said earlier in this thread, I hope you can pull off a win with this. user added image