Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 14-10-2013 , 03:13 PM

Issue with displacement (Maya 2013)

Hi everyone,

I'm currently having an issue with displacement mapping in maya (see picture attached) :

https://imageshack.us/f/12/aqr4.jpg/

The problem is those lines that are showing in the shadows. They're appearing when i use displacement... I'm using a mia_material_x if that can be of any help.

Is it a well known issue ? I made a test where I've connected a cloth procedural texture to a sphere with a Lambert and the same thing happened... (another magnificent picture) :

https://imageshack.us/f/833/2pr0.jpg/

I obviously scavenged the internet but couldn't find the answer to my problem... If anyone can help me on this one, I would gladly appreciate. user added image

PS : The model is already smoothed and my displacement map is perfectly smooth.

++

# 2 15-10-2013 , 09:58 AM
SM Tea Boy
try a mental ray displacement approximation.

Window -> Rendering Editors -> Mentalray -> approximation editor

David user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 3 15-10-2013 , 01:59 PM
Hi everyone !

Thank you all for your concern and your help... It finally worked !

I got tired and confused in all this mess so I decided to create a new scene and it worked perfectly. I think the problem was regarding the normals of my object that I might have (by mistake) messed up...

Thank you all once again ! I guess the lesson here is : When you get yourself trapped... Re start from scratch... A little time spent for a lot of time saved.

++