Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 09-07-2003 , 02:23 AM

Hello's and First full Model thingie

Greetings all! I wandered in here after much bludgeoning...er, convincing pep talks, from Witchy and thought I'd give this Maya thing a try. I used to make fan maps for a pc game (using Worldcraft user added image and no, it wasn't Half Life user added image ) and this seemed so much more difficult than WC. It still does, but I'm muddling thru as best as I can.
I thought I'd post a few screen captures of what I'm working on now. They're not renders as I've not read that far or tried those tutorials yet user added image I've tried most of the freebie ones here (I think) and a few I found elsewhere before venturing out on my own.
As a player of table top WWI minis, and because it's mainly geometrics, I chose the Albatross D.V

Again, these are screen captures. Once I figure out texturing and rendering, I'll make it all pretty user added image

Criticisms/Comments fully encouraged...I have a thick skin.

Attached Images
# 2 09-07-2003 , 02:24 AM
Great start.. the size looks good... looking forward to seeing updates

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 3 09-07-2003 , 02:24 AM
Second Shot, with the image I'm using for reference:

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 09-07-2003 , 02:26 AM
And third (yes, I held off posting) user added image This one shows some detailing on the wings and the cockpit area begun. Unfortunately, it doesn't show the struts/supports and the fact that the wheels are no longer floating below the plane.

Attached Images
# 5 09-07-2003 , 11:33 AM

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 6 09-07-2003 , 11:58 AM
yes a nice start. my first model thingy was a crappy jack-in-the-box hahaha.....he sucked.

Yours is much better.

# 7 09-07-2003 , 05:42 PM

Originally posted by Pure_Morning
this is a really good start.

Thanks user added image It's coming along slowly but surely. Unfortunately, I have a crap video card so if I'm not on my toes and saving often, I lose alot.

I had to make a biplane a coupla months ago. If you wanna check the final animation then you can get it at: https://www.alanwoods.co.uk/files/cho...20x576high.avi

That was too cute! I loved the crayon landing lights!

good luck with it and give me a shout if you need help with textures and stuff.
user added image
Alan

Thanks! I haven't watched any texturing tutorials yet, so I hope to give it a shot, but may give you a yell if it melts my brain user added image

# 8 10-07-2003 , 02:12 AM
Well, worked on it a bit more... Ignore the color, I just wanted it to stand out a bit in the shots.

Still on the "to do" list:
* fix the engine/add the radiator...I think this engine style, tho currently incomplete, was for the Albatross D.Va. I also need to add the exhaust down the side.
* add the middle struts to the upper wing down to the body
* fix the machine guns...found some better pics that will enable me to correct their placement
* odds 'n ends, like the padding around the seat, figuring out texturing, etc user added image

As always, C&C fully welcome

Attached Images
# 9 10-07-2003 , 03:37 AM
Subscriber
Looks great :thumbsup:- maybe a render with a light background? some of the detail gets lost in the black.

# 10 10-07-2003 , 11:39 AM
Subscriber
looking good user added image
i think the render need a bit of work as its a bit dark right now.
really good job user added image

# 11 10-07-2003 , 01:11 PM
Subscriber
Coming together nicely. I agree with the others, try rendering with final gather against a lighter background.

Björn 'santa' Fredriksson

<A href=https://www.bjornfredriksson.com>Site Online.</A>

Check out our 1on1on1 battle for the SandCrawlers.
# 12 10-07-2003 , 04:35 PM
Here's the same shot/stage of development (namely, none of the fixes I have planned) but with a lighter background. user added image

Attached Images
# 13 26-07-2003 , 02:45 AM
Ok..some major reworking (only thing I kept was the landing gear thingie). Still needs guns and a radiator, among other things...

Attached Thumbnails
# 14 26-07-2003 , 02:46 AM
And a front view...

Attached Thumbnails
# 15 26-07-2003 , 02:56 AM
Subscriber
Coming along great!!