Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 13-07-2006 , 09:57 PM

The Landmark

Hello All,

This is the very first time i am using this forum and posting my works on here. I hope to be receiving constructive, positive and also Negative feedbacks from everyone on here.

The project is called 'The Landmark' and it consists of 28 bungalows (as we call it here) or some would probably call it beach houses.
The project isn't completed yet as I still have to do the interior also and some other exterior shots. But the shots for the beach houses itself are completed so, I wanted to share them you guys.

Some of you would probably think, that the render looks rather dull but...
I have faced so many problems yet. I wanted to actually render it using Mental Ray, Turtle or Renderman but, the thing is that I have a major computer issue which is my limit. Mental Ray crashed so many times. Turtle and Renderman wouldn't render the transparencies for some reasons so, I had to opt for the Maya Renderer. Too bad though... But the whole images look ok to me for it doesn't have to look too realistic.

The other reason i am here also is because i would like receive ideas from Maya users. Ideas about Texturing and Lighting and Rendering techniques i could use to improve that type of imagery in the future.

For those images, i have used 1 main light source (Directional)
and a couple of Ambient lights around. Should i have used an Area Light instead?

and for the rendering part, i have used production level with gaussian filter. Should i have used the Triangle Filter instead?

If someone could clarify this for me...it'd be much appreciated user added image

user added image
unit 1 Parking View

user added image
unit 1 Garden View

user added image
unit 2 Parking View

user added image
unit 2 Garden View

But i do hope you guys like it... and Thanks for dropping by and comment user added image

Cheers,

:edge: Loop

# 2 13-07-2006 , 11:00 PM
ehhh..... while MR and a couple of the others are accounted as better render environments (usually), there probably wouldn't be too much difference here. Try toning down the 'quality' level on mental ray, and see what happens.
Your stuff's not looking bad, but it does smack of a computer rendering (although anybody who does this regularily should twitch to this more than one who doesn't). Mostly I blame your texturing, which, really, is on the simple side. I can reccommend a couple of things that shouldn't take too long, but will improve the apparent quality of the shot (and make it more 'realisic' to boot).

First, give everything a bump map (at least a procedural one). It doesn't have to be very big or very obvious, but you'd be surprised what even a small one will do.
Second, don't have ANY of the textures as one color. While the bump map will also go a long way to changing this, by simply putting in small patches of color on objects you'll make things look a bit better. Okay, yes, there are times when things probably should be the same color, but this probably isn't it.
Third, make sure nothing is just a simple plane. That is, make sure the roof has thickness. And while we're on it, try seeing if the ridges on the roof can either be actually modeled, or at least displacement or really heavily bump-mapped. Currently, that roof piece looks really flat....

That's all that really comes to mind at the moment. Try those changes, then show them again. Your shadows appear good, and I'm glad the windows have a reflection (maybe do something to make there be a single 'highlight' point or streak or something, along with the general reflection? dunno). Although, it kinda looks like maybe your light is white? Maybe make it a little yellower or something, and try downing the intensity just a little.

But yeah, not bad. It's really pretty good, in most ways.

Book Wise

https://X4nd5r.deviantart.com
# 3 14-07-2006 , 01:20 AM

Originally posted by Xander-0
ehhh..... while MR and a couple of the others are accounted as better render environments (usually), there probably wouldn't be too much difference here. Try toning down the 'quality' level on mental ray, and see what happens.
Your stuff's not looking bad, but it does smack of a computer rendering (although anybody who does this regularily should twitch to this more than one who doesn't). Mostly I blame your texturing, which, really, is on the simple side. I can reccommend a couple of things that shouldn't take too long, but will improve the apparent quality of the shot (and make it more 'realisic' to boot).

First, give everything a bump map (at least a procedural one). It doesn't have to be very big or very obvious, but you'd be surprised what even a small one will do.
Second, don't have ANY of the textures as one color. While the bump map will also go a long way to changing this, by simply putting in small patches of color on objects you'll make things look a bit better. Okay, yes, there are times when things probably should be the same color, but this probably isn't it.
Third, make sure nothing is just a simple plane. That is, make sure the roof has thickness. And while we're on it, try seeing if the ridges on the roof can either be actually modeled, or at least displacement or really heavily bump-mapped. Currently, that roof piece looks really flat....

That's all that really comes to mind at the moment. Try those changes, then show them again. Your shadows appear good, and I'm glad the windows have a reflection (maybe do something to make there be a single 'highlight' point or streak or something, along with the general reflection? dunno). Although, it kinda looks like maybe your light is white? Maybe make it a little yellower or something, and try downing the intensity just a little.

But yeah, not bad. It's really pretty good, in most ways.

Xander,

Thanks heaps :bow: for your very constructive feedbacks and ideas. I really appreciate the fact that you shared a bit of your time to post a reply user added image Thanks

I will try to fix one of the shots and rerender it so that i can post it again. But that's gona take some time because i need to complete the whole project pretty soon. However, all your suggestions, ideas and recommendations will sure be of a great help along the project... user added image

You are right about the light color, it is infact white user added image
The reason i didn't change the color to something like a very subtle yellow is because i didn't want the light to affect the color of my surfaces. But again, i'm probably wrong on that... user added image

For the reflections hehe... Glad you pinpointed that! user added image
The first time i rendered one of the shots, there were no reflections...I mean the reflection was checked but there was no sky reflections on any of the top windows :mg: Then i connected an environment texture to the reflection color attribute :nod: And was happy to finally see some sky on the windows hehe user added image

Thanks for your help Xander,

Speak soon,

:edge:Loop

# 4 14-07-2006 , 05:10 AM
yes, changing the light color to yellow will change the apparent color of the textures. I didn't say to give it much of a color difference, but a stark white for an exterior shot is just... unsettling. The human mind knows something is wrong, even if they don't know what....

I do have to commend you on your foilage. I assume some elements (such as the palm trees) are matted in from photos, while others (such as some of the ones in planters and pots) seem to be rom artisan brushes. Am I right in this? It looks rather nice...

Book Wise

https://X4nd5r.deviantart.com
# 5 14-07-2006 , 05:52 AM

Originally posted by Xander-0
yes, changing the light color to yellow will change the apparent color of the textures. I didn't say to give it much of a color difference, but a stark white for an exterior shot is just... unsettling. The human mind knows something is wrong, even if they don't know what....

I do have to commend you on your foilage. I assume some elements (such as the palm trees) are matted in from photos, while others (such as some of the ones in planters and pots) seem to be rom artisan brushes. Am I right in this? It looks rather nice...

All the plants in the images are actual pictures :bandit: user added image
I have spent quite a while placing and sizing every plants as needed so that they don't look identical to each other. Irregularity is the key user added image
I wanted to use the Artisan tool (Paint Efx) to fill out blanks, like grasses around trees etc but i remember last time i used it, i couldn't get a nice shadow unless i depth mapped it.
I just wana avoid comping at the moment. So, in conclusion... If i can get everything and anything in 1 render, i'd be more than satisfied user added image

# 6 14-07-2006 , 07:49 AM
Hey I like this so far but as said it can benefit from some more work and observation user added image What I really like is this tree and may I ask how you made this? The shadows on it are quite nice and more on the stylistic side and would just love to make something similar user added image

Attached Images
# 7 14-07-2006 , 08:15 AM

Originally posted by Lipski
Hey I like this so far but as said it can benefit from some more work and observation user added image What I really like is this tree and may I ask how you made this? The shadows on it are quite nice and more on the stylistic side and would just love to make something similar user added image

Thanks for the warm comment Lipski user added image
Those tips and ideas i received will sure be very helpful to improve my images over-all look in the future and i am glad that i registered to this forum user added image

The 'yellowish' tree is a simple image i used and it's from the 3DTotal Textures Vol. 10. All the trees are images actually...
I added a bump to the tree image(simple plane) and also a specular map(Not very noticeable though)
And the shadow(Raytrace) itself is casted by the main light source user added image

Cheers,

Last edited by Edgeloop; 14-07-2006 at 08:18 AM.
# 8 14-07-2006 , 09:12 AM
Ah ok yes I see now. Yeah I have the same total textures and just had a glance at it. Just thought that it looked as though the tree was made up of little planes which had leaves mapped to it and then scattered all over the branches. I don't know an easy way to do this so was curious user added image

# 9 14-07-2006 , 09:18 AM

Originally posted by Lipski
Ah ok yes I see now. Yeah I have the same total textures and just had a glance at it. Just thought that it looked as though the tree was made up of little planes which had leaves mapped to it and then scattered all over the branches. I don't know an easy way to do this so was curious user added image

No worries Mate! user added image

# 10 18-08-2006 , 05:51 PM
Subscriber
well i actually love this model you have made... ermm donno anything to say negative about this work.. you could make the colour stand out abit more.. but its your work anyway...
keep it up =] user added image

# 11 23-08-2006 , 11:41 AM

Originally posted by marlonjohn
well i actually love this model you have made... ermm donno anything to say negative about this work.. you could make the colour stand out abit more.. but its your work anyway...
keep it up =] user added image

Hey Thanks Marlonjohn,

Thanks for the comment user added image
Very much appreciate.
Unfortunately i have put this project on the side now. So, no more work on this one! hehe user added image
I agree on this, it could have been better... Too much hassle for a short amount of time... user added image

Looks like there are heaps of Aussies around here!
Oy Mates! where all are u guys from...? user added image