Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 22-06-2008 , 10:49 AM

transferring fbx data

I have a skeleton that has been exported into motion builder and had some mocap attached to it. I now need to re-import the skeleton back into maya and have the info transfered across. If anyone can give any advice as to how and if this can be done it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Leon Labyk

# 2 22-06-2008 , 11:53 AM
You need to plot the animation onto the skeleton, then save the file and import it into maya via the fbx format.

Its as simple as going to file import in maya and locating the fbx file and opening,

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 22-06-2008 , 12:10 PM
Thanks for the reply but it doesnt look like it is going to work due to the fact I have used a plugin called the setup machine. The problem is a lot of the attributes are locked and so I am going to try simply opening the skeleton and parenting the joints to the animated skeleton. If anyone has any suggestions that may help please let me know.

Thanks,

Leon

# 4 22-06-2008 , 12:20 PM
Senior Software Developer
Create a duplicate skeleton and copy the animation over from The Setup Machine onto yours and then do wot steve said.

TBH m8, ur better off not using the 3rd Party tools as the quick fix and learn how to rig correctly by yourself. It slow and ardous, but you'll be happier in the long run knowing its your own work.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 5 22-06-2008 , 12:57 PM
Yeah you are right about using 3rd party apps but there is no way I was going to be able to rig 14 characters within a month to the level required. Especially when I have to work so can only do it on a part time basis (nightmare).
Not entirely sure what you mean by creating a duplicate skeleton. I am able to import the skeleton into maya with the animation but I am unable to import it so the information is transfered onto the setup machine skeleton in maya which currently has no animation on.

# 6 22-06-2008 , 01:04 PM
If youve got motiuon builder theres no point in rigging in maya, use motion builder thats what its for.

Just make a skeleton, bind it, paint the weights then export the lot to Motionbuilder via the FBX (make sure you use the right version on export), then characterize your model with the MB character, animate, plot the animation then export back to maya.

MB has full FBIK and switchable FK/IK, its a awesome bit of kit, if you've got it then use it.

# 7 22-06-2008 , 03:45 PM
Senior Software Developer
Sounds like a tutorial Opportunity m8.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 8 22-06-2008 , 05:33 PM

Originally posted by R@nSiD
Sounds like a tutorial Opportunity m8.

Yes mate ;-), just need to get some mo cap data for it! LOL.

# 9 23-06-2008 , 01:10 PM
No probs, I have managed to come up with a workflow with the guy who is attaching the mocap to the skeletons that is working great.
Thanks for the help guys, now I can see the characters moving with the mocap on I am definately going to need to sit down and learn the trial of motion builder when I get some free time.

Thanks,

Leon

# 10 23-06-2008 , 01:14 PM

# 11 23-06-2008 , 01:24 PM

Originally posted by leonlabyk
Also link to some mocap incase you need it Gster

https://mocap.cs.cmu.edu/

Thanks again,

Leon

Cheers Leon, Ive got that site bookmarked already!

Its a bit of a joke between me and Chris as I've been playing about with a gypsy system that we've just got.

So in the next couple of weeks it should be up and running.

Should say with that link, its raw data that needs cleaning up. you also need to assign it to an actor then onto a character , also a lot start at the start of the motion, not in a T pose (which makes it a lot easier to set up the actor in motionbuilder)

Last edited by gster123; 23-06-2008 at 01:27 PM.
# 12 20-07-2008 , 05:02 AM
Just wanted to say a massive thanks Gster. I managed to get my head around motionbuilder and it was so worth it. Before I was working with another guy who was trying to do the mocap but he was using max and motionbuilder. I think this was causing problems, but now I know how to do it myself things are going fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kpj7Dw1Qh0

I could use more mocap footage though and wonder if you know of any places where I can get stuff for free or as bundles.

Thanks for the help and advice so far it is much appreciated,

Leon