Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 13-01-2005 , 05:14 PM

hierarchy question

Does anyone know of a way to reverse the hierarchy on a string of joints?

example:
set up a series of 9 joints in a straight line that starts on the left side of the screen. The left most joint will be the root joint. Let's call it "joint 1" If you rotate joint 1, all the rest of the joints will move and stay in relation to joint 1's rotation. If you rotate joint 5, then joints 6,7,8,and 9 will move and stay in relation to joint 5's rotation.

Now, if you could reverse the hierarchy then when you rotated joint 5, joints 4,3,2,and 1 would move instead of 6,7,8, and 9.

If there is a way to do this, I need it to be keyframeable so I can make the switch during animation. Any ideas would be helpful user added image

# 2 14-01-2005 , 03:36 AM
i dont think u can make it keyframable
but there is an option in the animation menu set.
just go to skeleton\reroot joint..........and all u have to do is select the joint u want to reverse................u cannot keyframe this transition..........and just a little hint....when u have a mesh already connected to the joint (skinned to the joint) u cannot reroot any joints in that skeletal chain.................................

# 3 14-01-2005 , 02:40 PM
Thanks Mayakid14. I didn't consider what would happen if there was a skin attached to the joint. I think I'd better look for another solution to my problem.