Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 10-08-2003 , 04:46 AM
Subscriber

Waving Flag

Im having trouble getting my softbodies flag to wave like it should be.I would like to know what effects goes into making a flag wave randonly side to side and even up and down a bit.Iv'e been using a fan effect with a gravity effect with not so good results.My fan effect just blows the flag forward but i would like the flag to blow back and forth.Also the gravity part just pulls it down.Iv'e been looking for some setting in the attribte editor that will give it a random effect but i dont see that.Any help would be apreciated.

# 2 12-08-2003 , 12:16 AM
If you are using goals for your softy, you would need to animate the general motion of your NON-soft goal object, and your "soft" flag would follow along, taking on the general movement of that animation, and also benefit with your fan field as well.

Hope that made sense?

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 3 12-08-2003 , 12:22 AM
Subscriber
So do i make a "Make Copy Soft" when i want to turn it into a softbodie?im going to go sahead then and try it out and see what i get.Thanks for the info Ragecgi

# 4 12-08-2003 , 12:42 AM
No problem!

Also, make sure to check the docs regarding "Painting Goal Weights" so as to help you paint the areas that you want to be more wavyuser added image

(i.e lighter grey means less weight, black means 0, or stiff.)

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 5 12-08-2003 , 06:27 PM
Subscriber
Ok after alot of headaches i think ive made some progress but not sure if this was the correct way of doing it.Here is my scene file that shows my flag in a wave that im almost happy with but still needs some tweeking.I need some help to know how to keep the left edge to stay stiff.If i can get help with that it would be much apreciated.

# 6 12-08-2003 , 06:30 PM
Subscriber
opps....here is the scene file. user added image

Attached Files
File Type: mb maya_flag.mb (370.3 KB, 182 views)
# 7 13-08-2003 , 04:29 PM
What version of Maya are you running?

(Note: this is important, as there is a step-by-step flag tut in the 4.5 docs that I founduser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 8 13-08-2003 , 04:41 PM
Either way, if you check out this page in the docs, your problems should be solved:

Go to: Dynamics - Soft Bodies - Paint Soft Body Weights Tool

The example on this page shows you how to pretty much paint weights on a hanging drape, but the same idea applies to a flaguser added image

Good luck!

PS, that way, you don't need to worry about springs unless you want touser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 9 13-08-2003 , 07:43 PM
Subscriber
Yai got 4.5. I didnt see a flag tutorial but now that you mentioned it ill look at it better.I used springs cause i seen the better results in terms of the flag waving more like i wanted to.

Thanks again for your huge help ragecgi.

# 10 13-08-2003 , 10:56 PM
No problemuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com