Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 21-03-2006 , 02:16 AM

Batch Render Always fails

I am having a problem with my batch rendering with Mental ray. I am at a stage where I believe I have tried everything.

I have 5 systems all with 4 gig ram all dual core processors running windows 64 and maya 7.0

When I render a semi large but low poly street scene with GI and FG on it renders within 5 mins on one system using the normal renderview.

But the problem occurs when I render using the batch renderer or the command line batch renderer, it says out of memory, when it doesn't come close to using half of it.

In my Memory section I have tried virtually all amounts 10, 500, 2000 even 20000 just to see

I have tried all kinds of BSP settings.

I have tried using windows xp pro, I have tried freshly installing each system with only windows 64 and maya.

I don't understand it, it renders so fast when i just click the renderview render button, but batch render doesnt get past 0% then says render complete.

Please somebody give me some suggestions I am feeling quite confused at this time, I feel like there is no more I can do

# 2 21-03-2006 , 02:18 AM
Another 12 hours in the studo and we have gotten no further. I am feeling that there is no way for us to render this scene anymore.

I have tried Turtle renderer which works fine but doesn't batch render, it also runs out of memory.

here is an example image of what we are trying to render https://studiodistract.com/nrsi/images/street7.jpg except we not have more cars and people walking around.

Please could comeone give me some options to try as I am worrying so much now that we will never be able to complete the work because of this rendering issue.

More work examples can be found at www.studiodistract.com/nrsi this is the quality of our renders so far and it would be such a shame not to complete the project. It would be detrimental to our studio.

Any suggestions would be very happily received

Steve

# 3 22-03-2006 , 06:57 AM
Subscriber
mate i have no idea but i know this, my maya 6.5 will not render when my other computer is on, it seems to get mixed up with IPs or something. (maya is only installed on one computer) I noticed all sorts of wierd files in (image files) there (the laptop is wirekess) like 'telephony files' never even heard of them??

what a drag to have the latest version and have this trouble, I wonder if maya realeased 7 too soon?

Unless you know what your doing, and I think you most definately do, networks are a horror story.

good luck and that scene is great.

take it easy and life will be easy
# 4 24-03-2006 , 11:30 PM
Yea -- that's what I'd recommend:

Turn off as much background processes as you can (iPodservices seems to break just about everything) -- even boot in safemode if possible. Download everything on to the rendering terminal then open up the console.

If you really want to be safe -- remove all unnecessary cards, remove all cords but mouse/keyboard/monitor/power, etc.

Hell -- I've even had a scanner lock up my computer... basically you want as LITTLE on as possible.

# 5 25-03-2006 , 12:55 AM
Subscriber
yea, that's what I meant to say :blush: user added image user added image

i had my MIDI interface do the same...

# 6 25-03-2006 , 10:43 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
So you're batching to different procs, in a render farm way?

You have to have MR licences per processor/machine, it doesnt work like software batch rendering in Maya, where the software is loaded without the license and the IP addreses are on the dispatcher for your renders. We have the same prob in our studio, but the boss wont pay out for MR licenses per rendermachine.

Jay

# 7 25-03-2006 , 11:17 PM
Subscriber
I was hoping to network with my laptop, just for the sake of processing power, I think the laptop may be more powerful than my pent 4; 2.4, because the laptop has a dual processor and I think 1 1'4 gig ram, the pent has 2 gig, but networking is crazy, on my machines anyway. But what a dream, two processors, three screens, a dual burner, a DVD burner, a CD byrner, and more room to play in,ect, but...????? double the problems. Is it easy or a major brain meltdown?

you work in a studio jay, you have a job?? Jesus, one of the, dare I say, lucky? Must be some pressure. I had a deadline yesterday (I'm an independent, dependent on people giving me work..user added image ) for a girl singing, got it in with an hour to spare but the computer decided it wouldn't burn a disc, first time that happened, Fickle bloody things, don't know why I bother, must be a surrogate wife...user added image The people were pretty cool, mainly because when they came to get it I tried to burn the disc twice while they were here and it failed,.., blue screen, I flicked a button in Nero later and it worked, but that was at 1 am in the morning, sometimes one just can't let it go...

# 8 25-03-2006 , 11:24 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
You sound shocked Mirek that I have a job. At 36 I need to have...

Yep I have a job using Maya all day every day which is great, hence my worldly knowledge of the software...I have to pay the bills feed the family, just like the next guy.....some of it here,(work) www.redparkcity.co.uk

Cheers
Jay

# 9 25-03-2006 , 11:46 PM
Subscriber
I'm 49 and at uni, could never have kids (medical problem) and so no wife (they want kids) and so no family ( I have a wife in japan and I don't think she is coming back, its been two years so what do you think..?), and so no responsibility and so never worked, just roamed the world. Left school at 15, Mid life crisi directed me to uni and now i'm reponsible to myself. I have plans to get a job when I get out (of uni), if not in the film world, i will float around the world with a camera, and my degree as a passport to teach english. Visas were always a problem.

I was joking my friend, not shocked, just happy for you in such a competative field. Also it goes a long way in understanding your approach to maya.

user added image

# 10 26-03-2006 , 12:42 AM
Subscriber
to be more succinct; does anyone know where I can find info about networking laptops and PCs? Do I just go to the local computer shop and ask there or is there something beside licences I should be aware of when working with maya.