Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 16 11-09-2011 , 10:12 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Cheers Rick

yes I am, I managed to get some nice ones at quite a high res too. Plus the hundreds of pics too, though the differences on each P51d is quite remarkable, its like they have their own personalities, some have different scoops or some have different tail designs.

so trying to go for the most consistent.....

Jay

# 17 11-09-2011 , 10:21 PM
I hear you Jay. Although there are only a few official versions - A, B, C, D, H, and K (I think) it seems even within versions there are lots of variations. I think the D was the most prolific.

The good news is there are tons of fantastic references images and lots if really interesting paint schemes plus nose art. The bearcat I am working on does not have a lot of choices for texturing but since I can't paint worth spit having more options would be more of a hindrance then help I fear. lol

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 11-09-2011 at 10:46 PM.
# 18 11-09-2011 , 10:43 PM
Lifetime Member
Nicely done thus far Jay......looking the biz.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 19 12-09-2011 , 12:10 AM
Cheers Bullet, oh I forgot to tell you, we used to have a Spitfire propeller with a clock in it in our living room years back, it was given to my Dad from a film he worked on, I dont know what film though, also we had a Mitchell B25 pilot seat too, from the film Hanover Street. Unfortunately is was destroyed in a fire after some bastard set fire to my dads shed one night.

Rick: Yeah, I'm pretty spoilt for choice. This ones name and nose design will actually be dedicated to a Racing Plane that my Dad built years back. He used to make and race balsa wood control line Team Racer model aircraft as a hobby, they were bloody fast (100mph+) with ETA and Super Tiger Engines so this one will have a name from one of those planes. The good thing is its almost reminscent of the names given to alot of these types of planes too.

laters
Jay

# 20 12-09-2011 , 12:14 AM

# 21 12-09-2011 , 02:11 AM
That is crazy fast! I used to build large scale RC stuff back when I had a life. I still have a couple but they were damaged when I moved almost 10 years ago. To bad all my nephews and nieces are all grown up.

It is funny I watched it again and the planes are going so fast that you cannot see them. Actually I did have a pre-built cox 0.49 line controlled mustang B model when I was really young. It managed to last 1/2 of one flight! I got like half a circle and then it went straight up over my head and then straight into the ground even though it was designed to be crashed that was a bit more then it could handle. I switched to a 0.49 dune buggy after that. I did not get into large scale RC until I was older as a surrogate for flying the real things.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 12-09-2011 at 08:19 PM.
# 22 13-09-2011 , 09:54 PM
Ahh!! just had a good geek session spoiled!!!

While searching and geeking reference on a P51d Mustang called Dallas Doll, well you can guess what else came up for the search name....thanks google....ya cruel buggers.

J

# 23 13-09-2011 , 10:22 PM
The thin red line
I got a pump with mine.........LOL.....dave

# 24 13-09-2011 , 10:30 PM
Lifetime Member
Thats just f*****g nuts man!!!! hooly doooly talk about getting dizzy!~!! I never tried that form of RC though I do ahve a kickarse 4WD buggy that can do up to 80km/h with the right fuel. Its 1/8th scale so Im not allowed to race at most places as insurance stops at 1/10th LOL...but hey when it was going in the street the neighbours complained about the noise bahahahaha.....good stuff though I also havent seen that control line stuff since I was a lad either...must be a dying sport?

Dallas Doll eh LOL

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 25 13-09-2011 , 11:17 PM
Same here Dave LOL

Hey Ant thats cool mate. I think the love for that hobbie is dying slowly but surely. I remember being a frequent visitor to a model shop back in the day right up to the late 80s and early 90s, then one day went there.....and it was gone. Shame, as it was real boys toys type stuff too.

Anyways an update, modeled the tail in now and also the wing is now on the go....

cheers
Jay

Attached Thumbnails
# 26 14-09-2011 , 02:02 AM
Subscriber
...subscribed....

(wanna watch)

# 27 14-09-2011 , 08:52 AM
Lifetime Member
Looking good mate...I remodelled my wing as you know and am leaving the wheel wells til later. I am currently trying to get the landing gear modelled so I can place then TRY to cut out things...jeez its a pain mate! I will be interested on how you go with the wheel wells etc...I know Rick had some pain.

Have you fused the wing and fuselage??? Im not on mine as they are seperate components.

Cheers Ant

bullet1968

# 28 14-09-2011 , 11:01 AM
hey Bullet.

cheers.

I have merged them now because of the design on the wing elevator next to the fuelage. It doesnt go right around. the idea was going to have them separated but because of the design, its actually better to now have the wing on the fusleage. The elevators will be separate anyway. The elevator itself actually sits up inside almost under the fuselage so the join creates a lip at the back, have a google for P51d Wing Elevator. Its a strange design, and it will throw you a bit

I'll be adding geo as well for panel detail here and there to sell it, not everywhere but just hints to help it along. Will most likely use displacements for the rest as Zbrush can handle hardsurfaced details these days, so having the wing to the fuselage now is okay, Im going to be anal enough with it.....I have a nice Kit image of the complete cockpit interior including roll bars, so gonna use that for ref too. LOL

cheers
Jay

# 29 14-09-2011 , 09:51 PM
Okay a bit of an update. I managed to get more ref pics for the elevator section on the fuselage....its a strange design. Anyway you can now see the part that portrudes from the fuselage that the flap rests beneath. I separated the wing again and it just all fell into place......onwards

Jay

Attached Thumbnails
# 30 15-09-2011 , 01:27 AM
Lifetime Member
very unusual man! hmmmm strange indeed...still it was a bloody fantastic plane so it worked! nice man

cheers bullet

bullet1968