Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 16 26-07-2011 , 05:16 AM
SM Tea Boy

Congrats To The Winners............user added image

Just so you know I really liked your entry. If you ever fancy turning it into a tutorial let me know user added image

Congrats everyone judging was bloody hard this time around.

Dave user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 17 26-07-2011 , 05:33 AM

Just so you know I really liked your entry. If you ever fancy turning it into a tutorial let me know user added image

I second that user added image !

# 18 26-07-2011 , 07:00 AM
Thank You Mr. David and Josh . I Will Let U Guys Know user added image...............

# 19 26-07-2011 , 07:36 AM
Administrator

I second that user added image !

Add me!
To address some comments made here with so much amazing work not every piece got the recognition it should have had and no matter who won someone would have disagreed. This same thing happened for the previous challenge as well and we've tried to post a very detailed description for the next challenge to prevent it from happening again. The term favorite toy was explained as a childhood toy or something more adult like your current favorite gadget which could mean pretty much anything nowhere did it say that it had to be from your childhood specifically and anyway how would we know. A negative comment directed towards a winning entry doesn't bring any sensible discussion but is simply offensive and hurtful to its maker so a better way to express your view rather than taking a slap at someone else's work if in disagreement with who won is to just mention the entries you felt were worthy of a place that didn't make it (as many people here have). There's the WIPs for leaving these comments and the best part about these challenges is peer review which I think is far more valuable than what a jury says about your work based on a final image which can always be questioned and seen as biased or highly subjective anyway.

I like the winning entries but as well nukefr had a fantastic model in the challenge with the tank, I thought s2-speedy's turtles were great both because of the amount of work that went into them and because of the funny presentation, I loved both the lego projects and think the final renders were beautiful as well I'm a fan of Stitch, joshpurple had a great WIP thread and superb attitude which helped lift the whole challenge. And you can go on like this about every entry so is it fair who won and who didn't? Maybe not. Does it matter in the end? I think not. As someone already said everyone's a winner here.

So again, congratulations to everyone who entered you did great and definitely much better than I could have done for sure user added image We did our best to be fair but it really isn't that easy in a case like this.
Nilla

# 20 26-07-2011 , 07:49 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
I completely agree with Nilla but if i had a pick I would have chosen Neils and s2-speedy entry to be top two just cause their toys and presentations made me want to go and see if i could get one.They had just this really warm feeling about them which I thought was the purpose of the challenge , maybe next challenge should be put to a vote with the judges vote having two extra votes.

anyway doesn't matter on to the next one......

Last edited by murambi; 26-07-2011 at 07:52 AM.
# 21 26-07-2011 , 08:04 AM

Add me!
The term favorite toy was explained as a childhood toy or something more adult like your current favorite gadget which could mean pretty much anything nowhere did it say that it had to be from your childhood specifically and anyway how would we know.
Nilla

user added image ha-ha than from which childhood the winner toy ?
From Leonardo da Vinci childhood ? user added image
The Leonardo da Vinci with us on this forum ?user added image
The toy story man is great but still how i can see the challange was all about the stylish render
that you should written that you need stylish rende !
PS same here !
PSS if not your Spam i wouldn't even come to this forum !

# 22 26-07-2011 , 08:09 AM
Nilla, that is nice of you to say but I dont think you need to explain yourself. As all the entries were top notch it was always going to be difficult and you cant please all of us.
Im sure everybody put 100% effort and for what its worth, i agreed with the judges decision and thought they all followed the rules. Your rules let us be free in what toy we wanted to make so it wasnt too limited and a good variety, and dont think anyone should complain really.

Thanks for those who liked my Turtles entry too - Thats a great feeling in itself. user added image

# 23 26-07-2011 , 08:11 AM
what wrong?

# 24 26-07-2011 , 08:41 AM

we have gone over alot of this already - and i think the judges did have a very hard job.

Do I think the right guy won - who cares not my call to make.

Well done to all winners.

and 3 out of 4 for simplymaya - whoo hoo

I would be interrested to hear other peoples Top 3 - but just out of curiosity not to cause conflict or anything.

# 25 26-07-2011 , 09:15 AM
Great challange! Congratz to everybody. I think that everyone here made a really great job, it was inspiring watching how the WIP threads are coming by.

I'd like to thank everybody here who commented or posted in my thread, it was great help for me, I learned a lot from this challange, and I think I successfully challanged myself with something new (never done a 3d character before), and I think I completed every bit I wanted to. So I can improve on my future projects with your help user added image

The only thing I'd like to add about the judging is that it'd be great if next time there would be a short critique about everybody's work. I know this is a lot to ask, but I think every contestant would love to hear about their work from the judges, or from somebody who's more professional. The first contest I was in (way back... this is the second) presented all the final images, and the judges said something about every work - "it's good, lighting needs to be improved" etc. I think it'd be a great summarized feedback to everybody about what we can work on next time - cause I believe we're all here to improve on our 3d skills, and challange ourselves.

So again, great work everybody! user added image See you in the next challange user added image

# 26 26-07-2011 , 09:40 AM
The thin red line

The only thing I'd like to add about the judging is that it'd be great if next time there would be a short critique about everybody's work. I know this is a lot to ask, but I think every contestant would love to hear about their work from the judges, or from somebody who's more professional. The first contest I was in (way back... this is the second) presented all the final images, and the judges said something about every work - "it's good, lighting needs to be improved" etc. I think it'd be a great summarized feedback to everybody about what we can work on next time - cause I believe we're all here to improve on our 3d skills, and challange ourselves.

So again, great work everybody! user added image See you in the next challange user added image

I think that would be a good idea, I looked threw all the end post and saw some silly mistake mine included that if pointed out for the next time might help.........dave

# 27 26-07-2011 , 10:13 AM
Administrator

user added image ha-ha than from which childhood the winner toy ?
From Leonardo da Vinci childhood ? user added image
The Leonardo da Vinci with us on this forum ?user added image
The toy story man is great but still how i can see the challange was all about the stylish render
that you should written that you need stylish rende !
PS same here !
PSS if not your Spam i wouldn't even come to this forum !

On the top left hand corner of this page you will find your user cp, simply go there and disable the option to receive e-mails from SimplyMaya and you will never get spam from us again as our mailing list is optional meaning you can opt out at any time. Alternatively you can dig up one of our spam mails in your inbox and hit the big link at the bottom which says "unsubscribe from mailing list". You can also just edit your e-mail settings with whatever e-mail provider you're using to send all our e-mails straight to your spam.

There's the 3 ways I can think of hopefully one will work for you user added image

Nilla

# 28 26-07-2011 , 10:22 AM
Administrator

I would be interrested to hear other peoples Top 3 - but just out of curiosity not to cause conflict or anything.

I think that is an excellent idea because it's in no way offensive or hurtful to anyone and as this is a community driven challenge its interesting to hear what people think and their motivation for why. This also provides some valuable critique that's missing when every entry doesn't get commented on by the judges and with so many people producing outstanding work I would expect people to give good feedback on the potential flaws and other things that might be difficult to see yourself when you're caught up in a project.

Nor do I see a problem in commenting on the winning entries as long as it's done in a constructive manner, not like some of the things I've read so far in this thread which is just plain nasty and not a way anyone should comment on someone else's work regardless of quality.

Cheers,
Nilla

# 29 26-07-2011 , 10:46 AM
Administrator

I'd like to thank everybody here who commented or posted in my thread, it was great help for me, I learned a lot from this challange, and I think I successfully challanged myself with something new (never done a 3d character before), and I think I completed every bit I wanted to. So I can improve on my future projects with your help user added image

Hi Daveido,
I'm glad that you had a positive experience and that this pushed you to do something new. I saw the self-illuminated buzz in your thread it was great.

I also think it's a good idea to have a short critique by the judges on every piece, its especially nice when so many people worked so hard to feel like someone at least took the time to have a proper look at your work and its rewarding to get feedback for it. This challenge just brought such an incredible amount of good work and to be honest it was surprising how many people joined in. I think the previous challenges since we brought them back just a few months ago have been pretty clear cut in terms of the winner nothing like this. We'll have to have a chat about it here, hopefully I can drag words out of their mouths and scribble them down user added image

Finally I feel a bit sad that so many of you got upset by this challenge and that it ended on a note like this. As the same thing happened last time but maybe not to such a large extent as the challenge was smaller I've tried really hard to post up clear guidelines for what gets taken into consideration and what's allowed and what is not. So please have a read through this challenge and if it is unclear in any way I would like to know now please. I can see how this is more of a misunderstanding of the criteria which we obviously did not make clear enough, than sharp critiques of winning images and I would hate to see this turn into a flame war over something that was supposed to be a fun learning experience. The best thing to do though is to try and make the best out of it and hopefully we can improve the challenges through this rather than destroying them. Let's focus on solutions.

Also we would have liked to send this to a poll but with a cash prize it simply is not possible to do so. only yesterday did I see some crazy mum posting on lots of expat forums about how everyone had to go vote in her 9-year old daughters photo challenge because she just had to WIN and not saying that it would happen here but it would definitely be a potential source of conflict.

Nilla

# 30 26-07-2011 , 10:48 AM
don't worry about my account user added image i can handle ))
but i am disappointed in your massage user added image that all you admit in it user added image