Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 25-03-2013 , 12:14 PM

Breaking Objects into smaller components?? HELP! :(

Hello, I'm relativity new with Maya, But was wandering is someone could help me with this...

I need to break up an object, For example;

I have a cube, with 8 faces on each side, I need to cut the cube along those edges, resulting in 4 smaller cubes?
user added image

(only an example but if you know a way to do this, then it'll be great for what I need to accomplish.)

If someone could post a step to step guide, THANKYOU!!!

... Let me know if you happen to need more information.

# 2 25-03-2013 , 12:19 PM
EduSciVis-er
Does this need to be part of an animation, or do you just need the smaller pieces. There's no way to automatically do this that I'm aware of. You could build the smaller pieces and put them close together if it is to be animated.

# 3 25-03-2013 , 12:26 PM
Thanks for your reply.

It doesn't need to be part of an animation no, the example is only on a small scale, I guess one way I could do it is have my edges on a flat surface, then extrude the faces out to the correct distance? But even then, I'm a bit of a 'noob', How do I break an face along an edge? (for example; If I had 1 plane with 2 faces, split this in to 2 planes with 1 face?)

Thanks for your quick response by the way! user added image

# 4 25-03-2013 , 12:29 PM
EduSciVis-er
Try looking into the mesh > extract tool

# 5 25-03-2013 , 01:21 PM
Works like a charm THANK YOU!

A quick other question though, If I have a plane, is there any way to split a random sized plane up into squares equal size to each other?
I see ADD DIVISIONS option, but that only seems to have the option to divide a face equal to the amount of faces you want/choose...
Is there a way to divide it up into each square being the size I would like

For instance; If I wanted to create 2 walls which are different sizes, but with bricks all equal sizes, I can create 2 planes (the walls), then divide the planes up into smaller planes which all have the same brick size

I'm not sure if you get what i'm trying to say, it's quite difficult to explain :/

(ANOTHER EG; )
1 = plane 10 x 20
2 = plane 5 x 10
--- ability to split these planes into smaller planes, all planes are equal sizes.

Is this even possible?

# 6 25-03-2013 , 01:24 PM
So what i'm looking for is a similar option to Add Divisions, but which can adds divisions of an equal size, rather than adding divisions on how many you want.

is there an option for this?