Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 01-06-2017 , 11:46 AM

nCloth scale

I attempting to incorporate some simple nCloth into a large-ish scene. I'm new to it but know about the disparity in working units (nCloth always works in 1 unit=1 meter) and that the space scale needs adjusting to .001 if the scene size is in centimetres.

My scene is a market street, so though I initially started without thinking of scale I've since changed my working units to meters and scaled the geometry appropriately. It makes more sense and I assumed that nCloth would play nicely, with a cloth of 4-6 meters as a tarpaulin acting reasonably correctly 'out of the box'. But the dynamics are totally off - the cloth barely moving, almost as if my units were still centimetres. I've frozen all transformations, removed empty transforms, deleted history etc.

Changing the nucleus space scale to .01 or lower actually improves the initial behaviour, apart from it pulling straight through passive colliders. I've found that adjusting collision thickness, self collision, friction, lift and drag do start to fix this, but it seems a lot of messing about to get things into even a half manageable state.

Am I missing something; doesn't scene units = metres, and space scale = 1.0 mean everything is working to the same scale?

thanks