Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 29-12-2010 , 09:22 PM

Help with Maya birail please.

I am trying to make Adidas Football logo , I created 6 curves ( 3 profiles + 3 rails), I am trying to use surface birail 3 tool to create planer surface,all the curves has been rebuild and the same direction. but this tools support only 2 rail curves I think, but i have 3 rail curves. how can I apply this tool to my curves if not what are the other options? do you have any other easy way to create such a shape?
please say something if you know something. I know its bit silly question after few year modeling. but sometime simple shape can be quite hard to play with my mind.
here the screen shot of my curves...

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 29-12-2010 , 09:43 PM
The thin red line
Sorry cannot help with nurb but I would model one third of it the duplicate special it in rotation to get the other 2 thirds..............dave

# 3 29-12-2010 , 09:52 PM
thanks for replay, but all the surface is one object, i mean what you see on the image(the line line on the middle) its just one black triangle with curved shape. the target is , I need to create polygon shape from the curves.
more idea welcome plz

# 4 29-12-2010 , 10:44 PM
You cannot have more then 2 rail curves period so what you are trying will not work in the way you have it. I'll have a look at it.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 5 29-12-2010 , 10:49 PM
yep I am working on it. I will have a solution for you in 5 minutes. I am doing it now.

Okay I have given this some thought and using curves is not the best approach if you intend to convert to poly's in the end.

You could use a nurbs planar by selecting all the curves then surface>planar options then select general, quads, polygon, and then adjust the edges per surf in u and v. But you get a messy result and poor surface flow. See the first attached image.

I included the .mb file as the last attachment.

Cheers
Rick

Option 1. NURB

1. nurbs curve network

2. planar result and option setting. Lots of triangles and poor topology

Option 2. Polygon

1. The unsmoothed topology I just started with a equilateral triangle cut off the corners and then drew in the geometry. There are of course many ways to achieve the same result. Just use create polygon and draw it out. It's not a complex shape.

2. smoothed. bingo! Next problem please.

Attached Thumbnails
Attached Images
Attached Files
File Type: zip triShape.zip (10.2 KB, 176 views)

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 30-12-2010 at 04:12 AM.
# 6 30-12-2010 , 12:23 AM
I like these little problems and after more thought there is a solution using birail and nurbs that in the end produces and very nice topology. I am recording it now...

# 7 30-12-2010 , 05:38 AM

# 8 30-12-2010 , 01:01 PM
The thin red line
This is the way I said, there must be loads of ways of doing this took about 5 mins........dave

Attached Thumbnails

# 9 30-12-2010 , 03:37 PM
Take a closer look at the polygon solution I showed above Dave. Yours is just a slight refinement. It just eliminates the inner triangle (a good thing btw) and then adds a tad more geometry for the stripes that could better be left out and the stripes just texture painted on a simpler 6 polygon model. I did not have a stopwatch but it took about 30 seconds to optimize the solution user added image

================================================== =============================

However, the point is the original question was about using birail and people are clearly confused about using Maya's very powerful and useful NURBs surfacing tools (i.e. trying to use three rails for a BIrail).

So I thought it was a good opportunity to demonstrate a birail solution and explain how to use the birail tool properly.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by ctbram; 30-12-2010 at 07:16 PM.
# 10 30-12-2010 , 08:29 PM
@ ctbram ( Miss Nova)and Dave
Thanks for the help and making this video. its great explanation and really helpful, actually I got alot of respond and I didn't know that this simple shape attract so many people attention, your explanation, answered all my questions. I am going to work on this video and try to follow your tutorial. meanwhile in your video you explain alot of maya polygon and nurbes tools which can be very useful. I would say you are the "leader".

Last edited by dubai3d; 30-12-2010 at 08:56 PM.