Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 18-05-2004 , 07:34 PM

Trouble Mirroring Skin Weights

I painted the skin weights on the left arm of my character, then I tried mirroring them onto the right arm and everything seemed to work fine. However, when I rotate the joints in the left arm, unwanted deformations appear in the right arm and vice versa. Here's a picture of the character in bind pose, and here's one with the rotated joints and the deformation. Anyone know what's causing this?

# 2 18-05-2004 , 07:55 PM
What most likely happened is when you where painting the one side you hit some of the verts on the opposite side... even though you where all black you add a bit of weight on the wrong side....

You can clean this up by going into the component editor and select the verts that have the weght on and change then too zero.

Hope that helps

K

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb