Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 18-12-2006 , 10:24 PM

2D POLY TO 3D

first, I would like to thank everyone who has helped me thus far. I almost expect scathing remarks on my noobness when on an internet forum, but you all have weathered my retarded questions rather well thus far, and I am very thankful for that, and for your help!

On to the question!

I have used the polygon creation tool to trace out a sword tutorial I am making but now that I have it all made, and triangulated how do I turn the flat drawing into depth.

Basically it is x,y right now with no z.

I tried extrude face, and it just turned it into a double sided open box, with my original in the middle...which is fine, but then how do i fill it in?

then i tried the other extrudes and they just made everything go wack!

woo-hoo for undo!

# 2 18-12-2006 , 10:56 PM
As a starter, I would try using the bevel poly tool under the surface menu. Read through the docs on how to use it, and give it a try. It will get you part of the way there.

# 3 18-12-2006 , 11:07 PM
Ill look into it...but doesnt bevel "round out" a sharp edge?

how would bevel do anything to a flat picture to make it have depth?

not saying your wrong, because I havent a clue, but it doesnt sound right to me user added image ill go look though!

# 4 18-12-2006 , 11:40 PM
Have a little faith. Bevel Plus extrudes and bevels at the same time. If you set your bevel to straight, it will not round it and you'll get nice angluar bevels lie a sword might have.

# 5 19-12-2006 , 12:43 AM

here is a newbie answer to ignore if you like but

if you have extruded a face ... you could try then scaling that face in ... extrude another face and scale in again turn it over delete the inside face and duplicate and instanceit so you can just work on one side ... does that make any sence at alluser added image

"Climbing the walls of the 'Uncanny Valley"
# 6 19-12-2006 , 01:52 AM
HA! you were all wrong but i found it! no worries!

what I was looking for wa sunder polygon tool options.

I needed these both checked:

KEEP NEW FACES PLANAR
KEEP FACES TOGETHER

# 7 19-12-2006 , 06:08 AM
Another simple solution -- hold right-click over your model, select "vertices" -- and drag the vertices individually.