Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 16-05-2014 , 07:00 PM
Subscriber

Directional lighting & shadows problem

Hello!
Everytime I switch on shadows (depth map or ray trace doesnt matter) I get almost black shaders (the render is very very dark, almost black). But this doesnt happen when I use other light ressources like point light etc.
I use maya shaders (Blinn and Phong E), I have alos tried it with very basic shader set ups - same results.

Does anybody know what I am doing wrong?

Thank you in advance!

Drosi

# 2 16-05-2014 , 07:23 PM
EduSciVis-er
Do you have any walls or environment spheres around your scene that could be casting major shadows? Directional lights come from "infinitely far away", so anything around the scene could block all the light.

PS 3000 posts! user added imageuser added imageuser added imageuser added imageuser added image Sorry. user added image

# 3 16-05-2014 , 08:27 PM
The thin red line
Yes Stwert 3000 posts but half of them were for saying you pressed the "B" button..............LOL..............dave

Sorry Drosophila I just could not let the young upstart (Stwert) getting away with that

# 4 16-05-2014 , 09:52 PM
Subscriber
ad stwert: Thank you very much! That was it! You are the king. Go and celebrate your 3000th post, haha user added image

ad daverave: i understand user added image