Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 05-06-2003 , 01:12 AM
Subscriber

engraving on the swords ?

I’m trying to make an engraving on the swords handle (like a design of some type and funky writing) but not sure on how to go about it. If any one could give me a tut on it I would be grateful user added image user added image

# 2 05-06-2003 , 07:06 AM
try to project a bump map on it .. or maybe a displacement map ..

Carsten Lind
Senior 3D Artist,
Maya Software Manager & Maya Instructor
LEGO Systems A/S
# 3 05-06-2003 , 04:22 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by caligraphics
try to project a bump map on it .. or maybe a displacement map ..

That sounds like a really cool Idea,, But I'm as Dumb as a Dog standing in the Middle of the road? I have no Idea how to do that.user added image If its not to much trouble could you go into a little more detail, I would be grateful. user added image

# 4 05-06-2003 , 09:42 PM
try to grab a screenshot or render your model from the side view or where you want the engravement to be.

bring that image into photoshop

make a layer in photoshop and draw the engravement in some fairly high resolution. Use a black clor to define the places the engravement should go down to the sword, white where it should go out of the sword.

make the background of the image grey RGB: 127, 127, 127

since the grey is rgb 255/2 = 127.5 ~ 127 it will be neither up (white = 255, 255, 255) or down (black = 0, 0, 0) so the grey will be neutral bump/displacement.

crop the image to fit the geometry

save as TIF (dont save the tiff with layers, since Maya does not understand TIFF files with layers)

in Maya create a shader with a bump or displacement map using the newly created TIFF image

Topics you could look into using the HELP files is :

Bump mapping
Displacement mapping
Creating projection
UV's

This should get you started.. and .. Good luck user added image

Carsten Lind
Senior 3D Artist,
LEGO Systems A/S
# 5 05-06-2003 , 11:19 PM
Subscriber
Thanks My man!! you are way too cool,,user added image This helps me out a whole lot, again Thank you.

# 6 05-06-2003 , 11:40 PM
no problem.. user added image

Carsten Lind
Senior 3D Artist,
LEGO Systems A/S
# 7 07-06-2003 , 04:16 AM
Subscriber
Hey hey, I figured out how to bump map but not sure how to get it to show up in the Perspective Viewport? Do I need to download a file to get it to show up? user added image

# 8 07-06-2003 , 08:00 AM
Bump map is done by software renderer? i dont think viewports could ever show bump maps or any other maps except low res color.

FX supervisor - double negative
# 9 07-06-2003 , 08:05 AM
you can change the shader to display the bump map channel, instead of the color channel in the attribute editor on the shader.

Carsten Lind
Senior 3D Artist,
LEGO Systems A/S
# 10 07-06-2003 , 06:08 PM
Subscriber
What good is a Bump map if it wont show up in the Perspective Viewportuser added image if the finale Product wont show up in the object I need it to, isn’t that a waste of time, Im sorry if this post seems a little retarded to you, it's just that I have no clue on what Im doinguser added image I'm trying to fine a Class In my part of town but with no luckuser added image So that means that I will Probably end up buy all the points I need to learn all I can plus buy the new Vid's as well(Cough ,,Cough ..assoonastheycomeout...Cough) Because you guys are da BomB!!user added image

# 11 07-06-2003 , 07:57 PM
Subscriber
ok, you do not see the bump map in perspective view because it would take to much computer power to display one. You stated that "if the final product won't show up in the object...... (etc)." Perspective iew is not the "final product." You need to render your sword out to see the bump map. That is the final product. Whenever you are wanting to view your finished product, rendering it out provides the best resolution of all textures. Hope this helps.

# 12 07-06-2003 , 08:13 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for the feed back, it dose help, its starting to make a little more since now, thanksuser added image

By chance you Wouldn’t happend to live in California would ya? If so Where did you go to school? if you don't mine me askinguser added image

# 13 08-06-2003 , 12:35 AM
Subscriber
Who me? No, I don't live in California. Kentucky is my home and I haven't gone to any 3D schools. I am self taught I guess you could say for the exception of the tutorials I download here at SM. I have learned by reading the F1, experimenting, and asking questions on these forums like you're doing right now.

# 14 08-06-2003 , 02:54 AM
Subscriber
Right on, So I guess Im on the right trackuser added image hehe.

# 15 08-06-2003 , 02:50 PM
Bump mapping is done at rendertime (as darkware said) someday maya will be able to do real time bump mapping but not just yet! user added image

If you follow what darkware said but use a displacement map instead of a bump map the actually profile of the geometery will be affected rather than just the normals (which is what bump mapping does). This might give you a better effect than just bumping it, but it will take longer to render.

Keep trying and dont give up you will get it eventually! user added image

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB