Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 18-12-2004 , 07:20 PM
Subscriber

having trouble learning Mental Ray

I am trying to teach myself mental ray, and I decided I would do interior scenes and gradually move from very basic scenes to more complex ones as I learned the intracicies of mr. I already have a few questions, and I was hoping some of you could help.

#1: I am starting off doing an increadibly simple room (basically just a box), and have a light source entering through a window. I hoped GI would even out the light distrivution, but unfortunately I still get very stron concentrations of light. An example of this problem is attached. how do I fix this?

#2 I really want to get the "white window" effect whereby it appears that a window is illuminated by sun and is too bright to see. An example of this is in drubster's excellent interior lighting study-notice how his window seems to glow just a bit
study: https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=14402

#3 What do the mental ray materials, such as Dgs_material do, and how do I apply them-is it just like regular shaders, or is there something special? I have a very limited understanding of this.

Thank you very much for your help

Attached Thumbnails