Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 15-07-2011 , 03:52 PM

Backburner server only @ 50% cpu

Hey everyone, I have a weird thing going on with backburner and I was wondering if anyone's run into this or what the issue may be.

When I submit a backburner job, the manager/server pc runs @ 100% cpu, but my slave server only uses 50% of the cpu, so it takes twice as long as the manager PC to render frames (they are nearly identical PCs). When I submit the job, I set the priority to 100, but again, the slave server is only at 50%.

PCs:
Manager/Server:
Intel core 2 Quad 6600 2.4Ghz
8GB DDR2
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS
Win7x64
Maya 2012 SP3

Slave server:
Intel core 2 Quad 6600 2.4Ghz
8GB DDR2
Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 Vapor-X
Win7x64
Maya 2012 SP3

Thanks for any advice

# 2 15-07-2011 , 08:10 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
What version of backburner are you running, I have had issues with the new 2012 backburner, so if you run with 2012 try installing backburner 2008.1.

Another thing could be that you have a SLM version of the software which don't have Mental ray batchnodes( only the NLM or network license has them), which means you are rendering with satelite and satelite only takes the 1st core of a dual core machine hence the 50 percent....

And at the end a little tip...don't use Backburner, it's rubbish, try Smedge or Royal render instead:
Smedge: https://www.uberware.net/download.php
RoyalRender: https://www.royalrender.de/cms/downloads/

You have to pay money for them but setting them up is a piece of cake whereas BackBurner is a pain and only if you use a flame or smoke your stuck with it , most postproduction facilities I know off have teh aforementionde Smedge or Royalrender as their render manager...