Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 16 20-02-2007 , 08:56 PM
Subscriber
Hello again,

another update for today, he's got some ears and eyes now! He looks a little zombi-esque at the moment, once he's textured things should change. I think I'll give him some elbows tomorrow.

Any thoughts are always appreciated.

Cheers,

Mat.

Attached Thumbnails
# 17 20-02-2007 , 10:49 PM
Subscriber
Nice work, I really like the character and the way he's comming along. The room is basically the way I pictured it in my head when reading Tell Tale Heart, maybe with a few different ideas but everyone visualizes things differently. The character isn't quite what I imagined but I think it'll work good in the scenery although i probably would work a little more on the ear lobes and maybe thicken his arms and legs up just a little bit, but thats just my opinion. Definately keep it up I'm looking forward to the completed work on this project.

# 18 21-02-2007 , 08:56 AM
Hey Mat looking good.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 19 21-02-2007 , 10:06 AM
Subscriber
Thanks Folks,

Rhetoric Camel: I'm glad that the room rings bells for you, I'm putting a slightly more contempory slant to the tale (20th/ 21st century rather than 19th) but I still wanted to try and illustrate the feel of the place that Poe wrote of. Hopefully I'll do it justice when it comes to animating!! As far as the thickness of the limbs, I designed the character that way, it's how I draw, I think he'll be staying like that unless he doesn't look right to me in the scene. I should perhaps mention that there is only one character in my version, it's set some years after the murder, he basically hasn't left the room for that long and the heart beat has driven him a bit bonkers.

Steve: Cheers man, how are you getting on with your rigging stuff?

Later,

Mat.

edit: I've fixed the ears, and sorted the arms. I'll post again when I've done a bit more to him though.

Last edited by happymat27; 21-02-2007 at 10:16 AM.
# 20 21-02-2007 , 10:18 AM
Cheers for asking, it's going well, been doing lots of tutorials on rigging and getting some nice custom controls etc. Onto some Mel Scripting now so that I can get the things I want out from Maya, bit of a headache as ive not done any programming for about 3 years, andthen it was very basic stuff but its getting there.

Looking forward to seeing how this scene pans out, its looking pretty good so far!

Cheers

Steve

# 21 21-02-2007 , 06:26 PM
Subscriber
Glad to hear it's going well,

part of the fun of rigging is making the custom controls!! Good luck with the MEL scripting, the last time I did any programming was about 15 years ago with Pascal.

I'll post updates on the character in the next couple of days.

Cheers,

Mat.

# 22 23-02-2007 , 04:58 AM
Subscriber
Hello again,

I'm back onto the room again and I've exchanged the old roller blind for a venetian one and had a bit of a play with the lighting in this render. It still needs some work but it's definately getting there.

Cheers for your thoughts,

Mat.

edit: I'm not making excuses but... it looks better against a dark background rather than the light of the forum.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by happymat27; 23-02-2007 at 05:03 AM.
# 23 23-02-2007 , 08:00 AM
Subscriber
I've added a bit of fog to the main light, it helps with the scummyness of the room. I think that I'll have to make an ashtray next to explain the state of the air.

I've got to do something about the bedside light too, I'm not too happy with the way that's looking at the moment. I'll have a play with it then it's off to UV map the character, yay!

Cheers,

Mat.

Attached Thumbnails
# 24 23-02-2007 , 08:21 AM
Hey mat, loving the lighting at the mo, especially with the dusty atmosphere, what about having the window a tad more yellow??

Cheers

Steve

# 25 23-02-2007 , 09:12 AM
Subscriber
Thanks Steve,

I feel as though I'm starting to get on top of modelling this project now. There's still a ton of stuff to do before I get to start animating, not least the texturing and rigging of the character, I'll get on to that when I've had enough of light tweaking!!

I'll see what I can do about dirtying up the window.

Later,

Mat.

# 26 23-02-2007 , 09:51 AM
yeah man, when your trying to pull lots of things together for a project its a lot of work, as everythings based on the part before! Its hard not to try and jump forward to the bit you like! I try to keep myself from doing it!

Is this a big project for uni? Are you in your first or second year now?

# 27 23-02-2007 , 12:17 PM
Subscriber
I'm trying my best to adopt some sort of work flow but it doesn't always work!!

I'm in my second year so it's not a super big project but it will go towards my final grade. It's for the Advanced Character Animation module, basically we've got to convey emotion through the characters we design in a short (20-30 second) animation.

# 28 23-02-2007 , 02:52 PM
Subscriber
Ok,

I've added some fog to the bedside lamp (not that you can see it in the image that I've posted!!) and had a play around with the outside light. I still quite like the daytime light, it sort of re-enforces how low the character is with the blinds closed during the day. The orange light is meant to be sodium street light, signifying night time.

I'd really appreciate any thoughts about which looks better or even options for other colours.

Cheers,

Mat.

Attached Thumbnails
# 29 24-02-2007 , 05:16 AM
Subscriber
It depends what kind of feeling you want to give to your room. You have to keep in mind the colour scheme. The whiter light gives it a more clinical feel that the orange, but the orange perhaps makes the room feel to warm for the mood of atmosphere that you may want. This pad looks pretty run down, so it's probably in a run down area, maybe next to a tattoo parlour with a flashing neon sign. Just an idea user added image

# 30 24-02-2007 , 05:42 AM