Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 19-11-2008 , 02:47 AM
Subscriber

character modeling question

Is it better to model a character as one piece then model clothing over top. Or model each piece separate and then combine. I was wondering be fore I start this new character I drew and want to animate. Is it harder to weight a character that's in separate pieces or easier. Also should you model hair seperate then parent it to the geometry or will modeling it and just combine it do the trick. Thanks in advance for the help.

# 2 19-11-2008 , 01:57 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
For this project dont bog yourself down, just model what you are going to see.

You could build it all just as an exercise but the rigging will be more difficult because of the different surfaces, there are ways around it but if youve not done it to that scale before, stick with my first comment.

I did all the characters for ITVs headcase in that manner and each one was rigged in less that a day.

Jay

# 3 19-11-2008 , 02:24 PM
The Nurb Herd
do you generally have to do the rigging yourself?

# 4 19-11-2008 , 03:35 PM
Some places like you to, but I didnt have to in this particular case. I had alot of models to build, a full character every 3 days so the animators and tds were rigging.

Jay

# 5 19-11-2008 , 04:32 PM
Subscriber
thanks Jay for the advice.

# 6 19-11-2008 , 07:25 PM
did you get my email dude?

Jay