Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 02-01-2009 , 05:35 AM

NURBS NURBS NURBS Ahhhh...

Hey guys very new to Nurbs and have a question about beveling and edge between these two surfaces...

user added image

I have tried many things and cant get it to work becuase they are trim edges I think, attached is my model so far, if someone could steer me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated ;-)

Attached Files
File Type: mb penholder.mb (73.4 KB, 312 views)
# 2 02-01-2009 , 02:23 PM
hey - not sure which edges you are trying to bevel. also, why are you making this in nurbs? - i might model it in polys and then convert to nurbs if you have to.

# 3 02-01-2009 , 05:12 PM
The yellow edges, and I would like to do this in NURBS because I need to learnn it :-)

# 4 02-01-2009 , 05:50 PM
Subscriber
if they are duplicated curves you will need to reverse the normals on the curves.., I think??

take it easy and life will be easy
# 5 03-01-2009 , 05:33 AM
I used a boolean to get those depressions on each side, so the yellow lines are what I want to bevel to continue that nice bevel all the way around.

# 6 03-01-2009 , 05:55 AM
hmmm - to be honest - i'm no nurbs expert, but i think achieving that is going to be difficult. generally people tend to stay away from booleans because they can really mess up your geometry, so getting a bevel effect on those edges may be extra confusing.
i don't think it has anything to do with normals.

again, not to go on, but why do you want to make it in nurbs - is it for school? if it's just because you want to learn nurbs than i might focus on something a bit easier, but usually people tend to model in polygons and only use nurbs if they absolutely have to.

# 7 03-01-2009 , 10:39 AM
Subscriber
you can use bevel on a NURBS? user added image
the only time i've seen NURBS used it to block out shapes because they are much faster to work with than polygons as they are infinately smooth

i'd just convert that to polygons (change the options so you get as few polygons as possible) bevel the edges, then smooth everything
you'll be able to make the exact same shape as what you have with the same number of faces as you have on that
(if it wasn't for your boolean operation or the curve inside, i would have thought this was already made of polygons because everything is so straight)

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 8 03-01-2009 , 11:51 AM
I agree this would be done with poly in about 20mins for me, but I am trying to learn Nurbs, I guess no one really would modell this in NURBS but again I am trying to learn it :-)

# 9 03-01-2009 , 01:44 PM
Subscriber
im afraid theres no point.., thats like building a complete kitchen and only rendering the fruit bowl.., why bother??

in production one just does the work in the most efficient way.., but if its a bee in your bonnet, good luck user added image but you could be spending your time learning other tools.., rather than getting stuck on a white elephant.., theres plenty in maya you can get stuck on as you learn mmore.

# 10 03-01-2009 , 04:09 PM
Ok well thanks anyways, lol

# 11 03-01-2009 , 06:40 PM
Subscriber
the only quick way is to duplicate the curves.., place them where they need be, and we are talking very small translations, .., and loft them. its a cheat of a way to bevel.

im not sure if its possible to bevel nurbs.., though one can bevel the curves straight from illustrator.., but it wouldnt surprise me if it was an action similar to what i just described.., a fancy loft or planar surface.

# 12 08-01-2009 , 09:58 AM
I have quite a bit of nurbs experience in maya as I modeled exclusively in nurbs for a long time.

Unfortunately your only tool options are the round and fillet blend tools under the edit nurbs options.

These tools are notoriously flaky!

If you look at the built-in help for the tools you can see some examples of how to use them. They work for me about 30% of the time though.

Also with trimmed nurbs surfaces (which is what you get when to boolen nurbs objects) surface render tesselation is critical or you will get all kinds of gaps between your surfaces.

but to be honest I am not a big fan of maya's nurbs surfaces toolset. It is a grossly watered down version of what was in the professional nurbs surfaces package from alias called studiotools and does not have to robustness to handle anything but the simplest of filleting tasks.

Looking at the surfaces you are trying to blend between I can see you they are going to be almost impossible to blend using the round and filleting tools.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 08-01-2009 at 10:00 AM.
# 13 08-01-2009 , 03:54 PM
Thank you so much for your insightful answer, I thought I was going crazy, what would you say is a good app to do NURBS in? I am on a mac?

Cheers