Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 01-10-2010 , 01:18 PM

Hi New Here and quick question

Hi my name is Kelly M aka DesignsByKarma (Karma for short). I have an addiction to software and tutorials. I live in Upstate NY with one of my children, my hubby and our fur baby Haze (European Shepard). My other 3 children reside with their father (same father as the one who lives with me) in VA. Long story. As I was saying I am addicted to software and tutorials. I taught myself Poser, Paint Shop Pro, Photoshop and dreamweaver. Well let's just say those titles were not very challenging. So now I write tutorials for those titles. For my birthday (which is not for another 22 days) my hubby and 4 children purchased Maya for me. Well let me just say I am pulling my hair out.

My question is:

Are there any tutorials on how to take an image of someone and create a character out of that image. My son has been working on some game characters that he drew by hand now he wants me to convert them to 3d characters. Any ideas?

Thanks,
SM Tea Boy

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 3 01-10-2010 , 03:28 PM
The Nurb Herd
i think (in theory) for reference you want to take a photo of someone from as far away as possible as this would have the least amount of distortion.
for textures i would say use a ring flash.

# 4 01-10-2010 , 09:13 PM
Lifetime Member
Well Karma looks like you have a task ahead of you LOL. I would go with a tut David suggested.......they are pretty handy and you can learn a bit from little if you get my drift.

I find (yes I draw too) that hand drawn characters are harder than they look. With the standard human/animal at least you can get orthographic views of said beasties (online) and create them that way. I find its really the 'depth' of the character when you only have the say, front on view to model with. Im a noob too so getting the 'volume' and shape of the character can be tricky.

Good luck though mate and hope to see some of your work up here.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 5 05-10-2010 , 01:41 AM
Thank you will have to check it out first thing in A.M.

Thanks,
Subscriber

# 7 06-10-2010 , 11:45 AM
The Nurb Herd
in my opinion that tutorial is pretty out of date.
I imagine it is pretty good to familiarise the user with the basics, but as for a method to build a human form its not a technique i have heard of many people using or used myself. I don't think it would benefit anyone who is interested in creating human structures. It would be like learning how to tie your shoe laces in a clove hitch then working back and learning how to tie them properly.