Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 01-07-2003 , 05:05 AM

Modeling Help

I need some modeling help ...

The original polygon was number two. I tried to uniform scale extrude face but it was going over into the instanced mirror so I just scaled it up in one direction.

I wanted it wider though, so I extended the edge to make polygon labeled one, now I can have four rocket launchers, two on each side

I then selected both polygons and extruded face but it goes all wacky anyway I try it, usually in polygon number one, the edge extruded on.

If I try and extrude polygon number two by itself it is ok but polygon one, the edge extruded one, seems not to like it ... it seems to have multiple edges arounf it and I can not even seem to merge them

How can I fix this

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 01-07-2003 , 05:27 AM
The Maya Mountain
Sounds like you may need to turn on "Keep Faces Together." Polygons > Tool Options.

We have a freebie vid going over the Extrude Face tool and its options that you might want to take a look at. It's in the Free Training section at the top right.

Good luck user added image

# 3 01-07-2003 , 05:45 AM
Keep faces together is set to on

What you are looking at in the picture is just one half of the truck, I removed the instanced ' copy for this picture

Something wierd ahppenens when I extrude the edge out that does not allow that new polygon, number one, when selected with number two, to behace correctly when I want to extrude them both to make the housing for the rocket launchers

The original polygon, number two, when selected and use a the extrude face to create two rocket launcher housings on this side, it goes way ove the x axis in to the mirrored half so I can not do it that way .... unless there is a way to deal with that

# 4 01-07-2003 , 05:48 AM
The Maya Mountain
hmm, I don't know if I'm visualizing your problem correctly.

Perhaps, you need to use the Global mode rather than Local? It's that little circle icon on the extrude face gizmo.

# 5 01-07-2003 , 06:10 AM

Originally posted by mtmckinley
hmm, I don't know if I'm visualizing your problem correctly.

Perhaps, you need to use the Global mode rather than Local? It's that little circle icon on the extrude face gizmo.

Tried that too ...

Basically I am trying to take those two faces and extruded them at the angle they are in and then going in there and making room for a rocket to sit in

Can I send you the file

Thanks