Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 30-04-2004 , 10:48 AM
Subscriber

Cps and Ear tutorial

I am a complete newbie with Maya not really a dumb blonde. I am brunette anyway.

I gave you £30 for the cps tutorial, dragon tutorial and radial nurbs tutorial.
I was getting along well with the cps tutorial and like carls style.

Then I find I have to spend another £5 for another two points for Mikes Video on how to make ears.

Now that I find very annoying, and would expect that the advertising for Carls cps tutorial would tell me in advance that I needed another video by another tutor.

Anyway I got on with making the ear despite the sound on Mikes video being of poor quality. Then came to a ginding halt.
Where I still am.
If I create a polygon in side view then extrude it forwards or backwards, I get an edge, a rear face and a front face.
But once I have used the split polygon tool I lose my rear face or front face depending which way I extrude, yet mikes video shows the rear of the ear as having faces as well as the front. I have tried different tool settings in the create polygon, extrude polygon and split polygon tools all to no avail.

I think too that it would be a good idea if in the tutorials you mentioned anything you were doing off screen like hot key presses and mouse button presses that do not show on screen. A number of times I have searched around to try and find something only to find that a vital piece of information is missing due to the tutor doing something off screen that to them is completely natural but to people trying to learn is a total unknown.

A disgruntled and unhappy Femina.

# 2 30-04-2004 , 11:07 AM
SM Tea Boy
First of thanks for signing up.

Your right if the CPS video requires the ear tutorial, if should be mentioned.

However it is not feasible for us to cover every key press or mouse click in every video. We do the best we can, but sometimes things get missed. That's why we run a VIP forum, so if there is something in any of the videos you don't understand you can ask. We will normally reply to a post in the VIP section within a few hours.

Have the ear tutorial on the house, I've put 4 points back on your account. Normally i wouldn't, but I haven't seen a lady both disgruntled and unhappy since my last Mrs.

David.

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 3 30-04-2004 , 11:09 AM
Kevin

Originally posted by David
Normally i wouldn't, but I haven't seen a lady both disgruntled and unhappy since my last Mrs.

David.

I dont mean to laugh here but LMFAO user added image

# 4 30-04-2004 , 11:35 AM
Subscriber
Thank you David you are very kind.

I hope Kevin you have a more gentle interpretation of your anacronym LMFAO than the normal internet one, remember you are conversing with a lady here <grin>.

But I still have no answer to how Mike is getting both a front and rear face to his ear after extrusion. Could someone please help me here, as I want to get on with the CPS Tutorial.

A happy and much more cheerful Femina.

# 5 30-04-2004 , 12:12 PM
Kevin
Hi femina

Firstly I will ask mike to pop along to explain the ear issue, Im sure he will help as soon as he sees it, I for 1 have not seen the tutorial so therefore cannot answer you

Secondly I have edited your post as we dont allow competitions links on this site.

regards

A much happier admin now that a more happy and cheerful Femina has arrived user added image

# 6 30-04-2004 , 12:28 PM
Subscriber
oops sorry but got the URL from here anyway.

Femina

# 7 30-04-2004 , 01:04 PM
The Maya Mountain
Hmm, I'm not entirely positive what the problem might be really. Could you post a screen capture?

My first guess is to make sure "Keep Faces Together" is turned on under Polygons > Tool Options.

Sorry about the sound quality. It's one of my first videos and I had a poor microphone back then.

# 8 30-04-2004 , 01:19 PM
Subscriber
Well you wont need the screen capture thanks Mike as Keep Faces Together was exactly the ticket to sort out the problem.

Thank you once again.

An even happier Femina

# 9 30-04-2004 , 01:27 PM
Kevin

Originally posted by femina

An even happier Femina

Now thats better user added image

thx mikey

# 10 07-05-2004 , 01:41 PM
Subscriber
Hi I'm back,
Just like that pesky poltergeist on the film.

Now I have worked my way through Mikes tutorial, built my ear and very nice it looks too, modeled it on my own as I didn't like Mikes rather chimpy shaped one.

So I have gone back to Carls CPS tutorial and have a couple of questions.
First the ear I built looks far grander than the one you used Carl and the back of yours appears to be extruded where it is about to join the head. The real problem I have with it though, is if I try to use the merge edges tool, the edges I have created on the head are fine but the ones on the ear do not seem to be selectable as edges, but other odd edges on my ear appear in lilac to show I can select them. Trouble is the ones that I am allowed to select are no where near where I want them to be. Once again I am need of guidance here.
Thank you in anticipation.

Femina

# 11 07-05-2004 , 02:18 PM
There are a few things you should know about merging edges:
- Edges must be open. I recomend you to go to Display-Custom polygon options and check "Higlight Border edges" and put Border width value 3 or 4, so all open edges will be visible in 3D view.
- edges must be part of the same polygon (use Polygon-Combine with objects selected)
Sometimes edges can`t be merged even if all seems to be ok, I think it is a bug which is present since Maya 1.0. Sometimes restarting Maya will help, if not, delete the face that is aligned to the problematic edge and use Polygon-append to fill the hole.

hope that helps

# 12 07-05-2004 , 08:26 PM
Subscriber
Yes I had already used the poly combine tool so both the head and ear were now combined.
I could make out that the edges I was being allowed to select were slightly bolder than the edges I was not being allowed to choose.
I would have thought that any edge which delineated the end of an object would be a border edge but it appears not.

Thanks for your other suggestions though they could be helpful especially if I can figure out how to use the poly append tool.

Any feedback from you Carl as regards the way you got the back of your ear to extrude out toward where it is going to merge and how your edges all seemed to be selectable borders please.

Because if I make an ear using Mikes tutorial then I extrude some of the inner faces on the back of the ear ready for merging, my new edges are not border edges and are not selectable.

Femina

# 13 07-05-2004 , 10:58 PM
The Maya Mountain
Carl doesn't exactly frequant this board a lot,so I'm not sure if he'll be around to answer your question any time soon. I normally use Merge Vertices for attaching, but in either case, you'll need to have border edges, so you'd need to delete the faces covering the area of attachment.

# 14 08-05-2004 , 05:24 AM
Subscriber
Thanks Mike. So I take it that if I extrude the back of the ear where I intend to attach to skull then delete the faces created as one does with the skull then I will be left with mergable edges on the ear just like the skull.

Femina

# 15 08-05-2004 , 01:31 PM
The Maya Mountain
If I understand you correctly, yes. Perhaps posting a screenshot would help.