Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 27-04-2005 , 09:45 PM
Subscriber

Ferrari 360 tutorial WIP

I decided to give Maya a serious try again. I've had my ups and downs with it when I've started learning it, and then stopped for one reason or the other.

So I bought the Ferrari 360 tutorial by Robert Scott over here at SimplyMaya.com - unfortunately I now realise I should have spent the points on the DVD version instead since the compression of the downloadables leaves a bit to be desired.

I'm not quite sure what you guys look for in WIP shots, but I thought I'd just screenshot what I've got so far, and post it here. Especially since I can't find another thread about modelling after this particular tutorial.

Shown below is where I am after having just finished part 10 of the tutorial. Modelled the basic body of it in polygons, and have just finished the air intakes, and the exhaust pipe, along with a crude version of the mesh.

There's a few things there that I need to sort out. For example, the windshield has a bit of a ridge along the middle of it (something I just noticed when I duplicated the other side of it).

I'm still developing the patience to tweak around ad nauseum until I have every little detail sorted out, but right now I just feel like I want to finish a model (something I haven't done yet), and the next one I work on, I will spend even more time to polish those details user added image

Some thoughts so far about the tutorial itself

So far I have had great fun following the tutorial. Some tutorials are just a bit too descriptive, with the tutor repeating something 50 times through the entire tutorial, but this one seems to have a nice balance between too descriptive, and assuming the viewer knows everything.

The quality of sound could be a lot better, and it sounds like it's recorded using a very cheap microphone without noise cancellation. The volume has been very much below average, and at one point it dropped to 40-50%, forcing me to crank the volume up a lot - only to get shocked out of my mind when it suddenly went back to 100%.

Sound-wise I expected more, with a price tag such as that. Although I guess I should see the sounds of cars running by the tutor's home as a bit of an atmospheric bonus, considering what I'm modelling user added image

I'm having a lot of fun so far, and even though the money could have been better spent paying for my bills, I feel like it was money well spent - so far user added image (Aside from the fact my girlfriend keeps teasing me about "working on my Italian trash" -- she's a Japanese car fanatic user added image)

Last edited by Kyraal; 27-04-2005 at 10:14 PM.
# 2 27-04-2005 , 09:46 PM
Subscriber
First picture, showing the front section of the model.

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 27-04-2005 , 09:47 PM
Subscriber
The rear section. I've "custom made" the rear exhaust pipes a bit, since I can't help but to take artistic liberties whenever I do artwork that isn't commissioned to be 100% accurate. One pipe a bit larger than the other, and the mesh unfortunately very crudely made.

Edit: Oh, and there's quite a few irregularities along the fender area.

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 27-04-2005 , 09:49 PM
Subscriber
Here's mostly to show you how my lack of patience and unwillingness to tweak things even though I can see it's needed. Quite the irregularities here.

I might sort those out once I'm done posting here, though.. user added image

Attached Images
# 5 27-04-2005 , 09:52 PM
Subscriber
And finally a bit more artistic liberty taken when I decided not to go with the outward-bending grill in the air intake as shown in the tutorial. I had the image in my mind of an inward-bent one, and it just had to be that way user added image

Attached Images
# 6 28-04-2005 , 04:42 PM
Subscriber
Hi I missed this post up until you posted in my thread earlier at the moment its looking quite good but it just needs a couple of tweaks to make things look better most of them you have pointed out on your own like the windshield, but the bottom of the front bumper IMO needs to be forward instead of curving under like you have it now. I would also suggest you select all your objects and goto edit polygons -> Normals -> soften/harden -> options box then set the number to 0 and hit OK that will get rid of the shading issues you have going on atthe moment around the lights and such areas