Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 166 04-10-2008 , 02:51 AM
Great Thread !!!

user added image

# 167 30-10-2008 , 04:00 AM
Thanks guys

# 168 23-02-2009 , 03:17 AM

Originally posted by parka
Tired of selecting those back vertices when you only want the front ones?

thx..this very helpfull :attn:

# 169 19-03-2009 , 06:45 AM
thx:attn:

mywrold
# 170 22-05-2009 , 09:44 AM
nice thread
here i'm giving some shortcuts
alt+b = cycle background colour
shift+a = frame all in all views
shift+i = show isolate/view selected
thanq.
:attn:

# 171 22-05-2009 , 09:57 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
# 172 22-05-2009 , 10:42 AM

Originally posted by vladimirjp
if u are editing a maya 6.5 to use a maya 6.0 u also need to edit the MR header, since maya 6.5 has a newer version of MR.
this is also easily done via a plugin on highend3d to let you use any file version of maya with any release. just an FYI.

hello plz enter d plugin link i really want this...........

# 173 16-06-2009 , 12:25 PM

Last edited by 3ddon; 16-06-2009 at 12:28 PM.
# 174 16-06-2009 , 01:17 PM
Level 32 pachyderm

Last edited by elephantinc; 16-06-2009 at 01:47 PM.
# 175 07-05-2010 , 09:39 AM

melt

how to melt the object

# 176 07-05-2010 , 03:53 PM

Re: melt

Originally posted by paul utham
how to melt the object

In 3dsmax there is a melt modifier,with that we can easily melth the object,
but I don't know in maya

# 177 08-05-2010 , 10:22 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore

Modeling with Blendshapes

Hey All

Ive been having to model alot of same objects recently at work and it can as we all know become a bit tedious when it comes to it.

Now in my case Ive been modelling buildings with as I said alot of repetative parts. I have to create proxy objects first, put on their uv's then go back dupe the object and then create a hi res one from it. This is all great but when you have to add loops to the same object over and over it gets a bit crap, and I really dont want to be moving stuff about once its in position, so here's what Ive figured out and have been doing....

Now I like to try different stuff, and not just use commands or options for what they are originially intended, so its good to think outside the box and push things forward a bit quicker

So first off all image1 Ive created a pillar and duplicated it across a few times:

user added image

Ive then fed the extra objects into the original as blendshapes on the default setting. In image 2:

user added image

Then on the original object with the shapes all fed in I then add my edge loops to the original topology. Image 3...

user added image

Then image 4 is where we add the magic. By going to the edit deformer menu> Blendshape> Bake topology and with the original shape selected watch all your other pillars take on the new geometry. Image 4:

user added image

give it a try.

Jay

# 178 08-05-2010 , 11:08 PM
Subscriber
Jay that's a cool tip... but what keeps you from creating it the way you want it the first time then just duplicating the finished product instead of duplicating it before you add all the loops?

edit: Keep in mind I don't know anything about proxy's maybe that's what I'm not getting from this?

# 179 09-05-2010 , 12:19 AM
Subscriber
Rhetoric -
I Believe from this

Origionally posted by Jay

Now in my case Ive been modelling buildings with as I said alot of repetative parts. I have to create proxy objects first, put on their uv's then go back dupe the object and then create a hi res one from it. This is all great but when you have to add loops to the same object over and over it gets a bit crap, and I really dont want to be moving stuff about once its in position, so here's what Ive figured out and have been doing....

it would seem that the workflow requirements of the current project require Low poly "proxies" to be in place and completed before he adds the appropriate edge loops.

Though I would ask the question Mate.
Why not just Instance all the duplicates with each other, after you layout the uv's then you could add the edge loops to any one of them and they would all update...?

Non the less, that is a nice trick to know with the blend shapes.

g-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 180 09-05-2010 , 10:16 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Guys

Rhetoric:

Proxy models are a very blocky version or a representation of the hi res version. Usually used as a place holder for animation either on characters or other animate things, even cameras running thru an environment so the playback is instant. Then at rendertime the proxy is then replaced by a script or switch which will enable the final hi res model to get rendered out.

Yeah as Legend says, its a requirement for things to be in place for the proxy, and I also tried creating the hi res first then go around deleting stuff again to make a proxy, its a real pain. So its faster and far easier to do a proxy, create uvs, then add hi res loops.

No you cant use instances either, because they can cause issues in the pipe line, rendering etc and so on. I did actually ask about them but they arent as 'practical' in a pipeline as you think. Well not where Im working at the moment anyway, other places might be different.

Anyway I hope the tip works out useful for you all, its not just for traditional blendshapes. I have another cool tip that I'll post later.

Jay