Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 26-02-2005 , 08:32 AM
Subscriber

The Best Way

Hi Everyone,
I Just want to ask about the best way to learning maya ?
Can someone tell us ?
Thanks user added image

# 2 27-02-2005 , 11:39 PM
Subscriber
that is way too general of a question dude

# 3 28-02-2005 , 12:14 AM
Subscriber
The magical answer is what you're after user added image

I'm a newbie at Maya also and I've done the following:
1. Using the Help in Maya go through the Tutorials
2. Play with Maya
3. Download the Free Tutorials on this site and watch them.
4. Play with Maya
5. If you manage to go through all the free Tutorials and you're still interested, maybe buy some of the Tutorials like T-Rex etc
6. Play with Maya

Not sure if the above is what your after, but that's what I'm doing.

From what I can see Maya is easy to learn . . . all you need is A LOT of time.

Cheers
Paul

# 4 28-02-2005 , 01:30 AM
I would definately not say Maya is easy to learn. It's difficult, but you are right that it takes time.

# 5 28-02-2005 , 01:58 AM
Subscriber
Would you say easy if you have the time user added image

At one stage I started questioning if I could learn Maya and I wasn't questioning if it was going to be too difficult, but rather if I could afford the time to learn it. Its a big application and if you define big as difficult then I guess it could be perceived as a difficult application to learn.

Time seems to be the biggest factor in my opinion.

Man I'm trying to learn how to Track Video Footage with 3D footage, I'm finding that very time consuming user added image . . . maybe even difficult user added image

Cheers
Paul

# 6 28-02-2005 , 02:29 AM

Originally posted by BMS
Its a big application and if you define big as difficult then I guess it could be perceived as a difficult application to learn.

Yeah, that's what I meant.user added image It's a very big application.

# 7 28-02-2005 , 05:32 AM
Subscriber
Thanks for Everyone user added image
Yes as you said it's big application and really I planning to buy around 4 or 5 tutorials CD from here.
But did you think it's good for me or just buy one and when I finish it buy another one ?
Thanks folks user added image

# 8 28-02-2005 , 08:32 AM
Subscriber
I guess its a hard call. If you're 100% sure, then go for it, because you can only learn. I haven't purchased any yet, only because I feel the need to understand all the beginner tutorials first (which are free).

I did purchase a basic tutorial from Alias. It has 4 or 5 DVDs in it and went through all the basics step by step.

I started with the basics DVD from Maya, Help File and this site's tutorials.

If my progress stays on track, I'll be purchasing the T-Rex DVD first and possibly some points for the online tutorials.

Good Luck with it.

Cheers
Paul

Last edited by BMS; 28-02-2005 at 09:09 AM.
# 9 28-02-2005 , 08:42 AM
Subscriber
There is no substitute for hands on learning and playing IMHO. But seriously, the best way to learn depends entirely on you and what your individual learning style preference is. If you're the heavy thinker, deep reading type, then books may be your best bet. If you're a visual learner then CD/DVDs might be the way to go. If you're a tactile learner then a hands on class room environment might be best. But, what you'll probably end up with is a hodge-podge of all these.

Two bits of advice, be persitent, don't expect to learn it overnight, and use the built in help when you come across a term or procedure you're not familiar with (F1 on the Keyboard).

Happy Modeling

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 10 28-02-2005 , 09:01 AM
Subscriber
Thanks for both of you.
Personally I like learning by CD/DVDs.
I feel some books boring and some times I can't understand articals if it wrote in hard english user added image

# 11 28-02-2005 , 09:04 AM
Subscriber
Ok, then start with some of free tutorials on this and other sites. A google search for "Maya tutorials" should give you quite a few hits.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 12 28-02-2005 , 09:06 AM
Subscriber
Sure I will.
I donwload some already
Thanks man user added image