Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 03-12-2005 , 08:36 PM
Subscriber

Difficulties

Hello,

I follow some of the tutorials that are on this site of wich I think I learned a lot.
I was trying to practice the new knowledge into a model of a candle wich i would like to let it burn.

However I must be doing something wrong during the modeling because a portion of the model transforms a bit strang when converting the polygon model to subdivisions (see the attached images).

I'm sure I'm making some kind of a basic mistache but I don't know exactly what. Can someone give me some advice in this ?

Thanks in advance.

Willy

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 03-12-2005 , 08:37 PM
Subscriber

part 2

This is the polygon model :

Attached Images
# 3 04-12-2005 , 09:54 AM
dont know anything about subd's but I'd check to see if all the polygon edges are joined together around the problem area.

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 4 04-12-2005 , 10:15 AM
Subscriber
hmm im too much of a nob to know why not just smooth polys and keep away from sub'd's

# 5 06-12-2005 , 05:20 PM
Subscriber
This indeed looks like detatched edges/vertices.

Try dragging a selection square across a single poly vertice in the problematic area, and examine the channel editor.
You shouldn't be surprised if there is 2 or more vertices there, and not just the only one you expect.

-DX-